Finder window and Trash

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MascisMan, Mar 20, 2008.

1. MascisMan macrumors member

Is there anyway to put a trash can in my Finder window (on the left hand side)?

Just a lazy thing instead of having to drag files from Finder to the Dock.

Or better yet, is there a way to delete a file directly from Finder (the delete button doesn't do it)?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Command-Delete (backspace) sends files to the trash.

TEG

3. MascisMan thread starter macrumors member

Awesome thanks!

4. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

Press Shift-Command-G in the Finder. Type "~/.Trash". Hold and drag the folder icon on the finder window to the sidebar. Enjoy.

5. montycat macrumors 6502

montycat

How does one delete a file bypassing the the trash altogether? I know there is a command for this and I cant remember it (maybe Im thinking XP):eek: . MC

6. MascisMan thread starter macrumors member

I tried this but when I try to drag the Trash Folder icon over to the sidebar I get the circle with the slash through it (like a No Smoking sign) and it wont let me drop it in....the Finder window will allow me to drag it to the top bar however...was this what you meant?

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

In XP you can hold down control when you delete. I'm not sure that works in OSX or anyother combination, as I've had no use for it. You could always just use terminal's rm function.

TEG

8. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

pretty sure its "shift-del" in Windows (sorry!:D)

in OS X i press command-del then press command-opt-shift-del to empty the trash straight away if i want to delete immediatly. or command-shift-del if "Show warning before emptying Trash" is unticked in Finder's preferences.