Finder window and Trash

MascisMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Is there anyway to put a trash can in my Finder window (on the left hand side)?

Just a lazy thing instead of having to drag files from Finder to the Dock.

Or better yet, is there a way to delete a file directly from Finder (the delete button doesn't do it)?

cherry su

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
Press Shift-Command-G in the Finder. Type "~/.Trash". Hold and drag the folder icon on the finder window to the sidebar. Enjoy.

MascisMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Press Shift-Command-G in the Finder. Type "~/.Trash". Hold and drag the folder icon on the finder window to the sidebar. Enjoy.

I tried this but when I try to drag the Trash Folder icon over to the sidebar I get the circle with the slash through it (like a No Smoking sign) and it wont let me drop it in....the Finder window will allow me to drag it to the top bar however...was this what you meant?

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
How does one delete a file bypassing the the trash altogether? I know there is a command for this and I cant remember it (maybe Im thinking XP):eek: . MC
In XP you can hold down control when you delete. I'm not sure that works in OSX or anyother combination, as I've had no use for it. You could always just use terminal's rm function.

TEG

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
In XP you can hold down control when you delete. I'm not sure that works in OSX or anyother combination, as I've had no use for it. You could always just use terminal's rm function.

TEG
pretty sure its "shift-del" in Windows (sorry!:D)

in OS X i press command-del then press command-opt-shift-del to empty the trash straight away if i want to delete immediatly. or command-shift-del if "Show warning before emptying Trash" is unticked in Finder's preferences.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.