Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eleven7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
Japan
Anyone know of a way to stop finder automatically closing the main finder window once it dismounts/ejects an external drive or disk image file which it does like 99% of the time.

Sometimes I have like 4 drives connected, and every morning when I go to eject them all, Finder closes the window each time one ejects.

Not a big deal but it is a bit of a pain in the ass when I'm in a hurry :)

TheFridge

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2011
South Africa
Are you by any chance browsing the external drives files when you unmount it? I tried closing my "main" finder window with cmd+q and I couldn't close it so that is very weird.

samh

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2009
Anyone know of a way to stop finder automatically closing the main finder window once it dismounts/ejects an external drive or disk image file which it does like 99% of the time.

Sometimes I have like 4 drives connected, and every morning when I go to eject them all, Finder closes the window each time one ejects.

Not a big deal but it is a bit of a pain in the ass when I'm in a hurry :)

I don't understand the problem. I dismounted a drive from the sidebar in Finder and it did not close the window. It will close the window if I dismount the volume that is open in Finder at the time.

If you need to eject 4 volumes at once and you have a multi-touch trackpad, you can four-finger swipe up to see the desktop and drag all of the drives to Trash/Eject at once.

dgbowers

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2011
Alabama
If you are browsing the drive in the Finder window and you eject the drive, Finder WILL close that window. If you are in a different Finder window then it won't. Also, CMD+Q (QUIT) doesn't close Finder windows, because the system won't let you just quit Finder willy nilly (you have to Force Quit it to actually Quit it). To close Finder windows you use CMD+W.

eleven7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
Japan
Thanks! I'm an idiot, I must have been selecting on drives in the sidebar before ejecting them (I have no idea why) :)

TheFridge

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2011
South Africa
If you are browsing the drive in the Finder window and you eject the drive, Finder WILL close that window. If you are in a different Finder window then it won't. Also, CMD+Q (QUIT) doesn't close Finder windows, because the system won't let you just quit Finder willy nilly (you have to Force Quit it to actually Quit it). To close Finder windows you use CMD+W.

Ah cool, thanks for the tip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.