Finder window icon arrangement problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mikebike125, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Mikebike125 macrumors 6502

Mikebike125

I am new to the mac and have the following problem and I don't know why this happens.

When I open the Finder window and look at the files that are in there in icon view they always are wider than my window unless I extend it all the way out. Is there a way that I can get it to automatically make the icons fit in the window that is opened so that I only have to scroll down instead of sideways??

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

3. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

You can also use View > Show View Options, reduce the size of the icons, and uncheck Snap to Grid. Leave that menu open. Then, open a folder like Applications, and the View menu will change to give you further options. For example, you can click the smaller icon size. Keeping things arranged by List stops that Window spread, and you can usually do without Size and Kind.

4. maestrocasa macrumors regular

Changing to list or column view is a good option. (column is my fave)

But if you want to keep it in icon view, do this:

Open a finder window. size it and arrange it the way you want. Close window immediately, without opening any files or changing file locations.

Next time you open a finder window, it will "remember" that arrangement.

5. Mikebike125 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mikebike125

That view arrange by and then get out of the window seems to do the trick. I wonder if there there is a way to get it to default to that. The results have the window looking EXACTLY how I want it. Can I make it a default so that other folders I have not opened up look like that automatically??