Finder window randomly changes from active to inactive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Flore, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Flore macrumors regular

Hello all,

Could not find such a thread and since this is quite an annoying problem, I decided to register :)

The problem I am encountering since a few days is when I open a finder window, it starts to sort of "flash" from inactive to active window (even when there is no other window/application opened).

[Please refer to post below for updated information on the problem]

Any input would be appreciated.

This happens on my MacBook running 10.5.3 (unfortunately I cannot say if the issue only appeared after the update).

Thank you!

2. Flore thread starter macrumors regular

In case this helps, I can say that this does indeed only happen when there are video files in the folder I looking at.

Still haven't figured out the problem, don't think it is hardware since it only happens in the finder.

3. Flore thread starter macrumors regular

Another update:

I re-installed flip4mac and perian. That is not the problem.

The flashing occurs when the finder builds the preview for icon view, this can be video files, photos etc.
    Every single preview causes one short flash from active to inactive window.

It is really annoying and i don't know what the problem is, deleted finder preferences also.. :mad:

Edit: Can a mod please rename this thread to "Finder has problems loading previews in Icon view",
    since this is a completely new problem now.

4. skcodes macrumors newbie

did you ever find a solution? i think this is the same problem i'm having. it does seem to be associated with video files too.

5. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I've noticed this too. When I open a folder with video files it it, the folder "flashes" while building thumbnail previews. Didn't used to happen, I think it was introduced with a recent patch (whatever was recent back in June? I would have said more recent, like 10.5.5, but this thread is much older than that).

6. joetheflow macrumors newbie

Stuffit

Had the same issue. Removed Stuffit from my System Preferences and all is well now.

7. macrookie1 macrumors newbie

Issue resolved through Console log

I had the same issue. After an update of my software (I trusted the operating system to install what was necessary) OS X, Snow Leopard started taking windows out of focus (i.e. making them "inactive") every few seconds. The windows would be greyed out, while keeping them in the forefront.

After looking at (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2170654?start=30&tstart=0) I opened Console, looked at the log after the problem occurred. Long story short, it appeared that the anti-virus software was mis-installed (e.g. OS X could not determine the software's version number). I went to the software maker's website, and downloaded the most recent software. Once I rebooted, the problem was solved.

I've taken advantage of these types of forums before, so I wanted to add something to it for a change.