Finder Window settings

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MattSepeta, Nov 12, 2009.

1. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Quick question: When I am navigating the finder, is there any way to set up some options so the following happens:

I like having really big folders that are easy to click on, and I extensively use the colored labeling. I like being in icon view. Is there a system wide preference that will make all the files/folders displayed stay on screen, so they do not extend beyond the left/right boundaries, but still be able to move them around freely?

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Set your Finder window to a much larger size, they will stay that way. At least they should.

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

No. If you want the icons to rearrange themselves to fit within a window (left to right) you must choose an Arrange By option that will not allow you to move them around. The icons will stay in the order dictated by the option chosen. If you choose one of the two options that allow you to move icons around (None, Snap to Grid) then they will not shift according to the dimensions of the window.

Thinking that through, it just makes sense. If you want to be able to move things around, say to have folders on the left and files on the right, how would the computer rearrange things when the window size changes? The order becomes arbitrary, and thus there is no criteria (alphabet, date) for the software to suggest an arrangement. Besides, if it could, you probably wouldn't like it.