Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Milan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
In my Finder window Sidebar I have some references to folders on an external Firewire hard drive. Whenever I disconnect the drive from my Mac the Sidebar references disappear. Is there a way to prevent this? I'm running Mac OS 10.4.11.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
thats what its supposed to do. if they were kept there and you clicked on them you would get some kind of error. wats the point of keeping them there?

its good that the Finder does that if you ask me. nice and tidy.

Milan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
Well, iTunes is smarter. When a song file is on an external hard drive, which is not plugged in, and you try to play the song, it tells you that the music file is currently not available and puts a little exclamation mark next to the song in the playlist. As soon as you plug the hard drive back in you can play the song.

I had hoped that Finder would be similarly smart, but obviously that's not the case.

I've already tried putting an alias of the folder on my system drive and referencing that alias in the Sidebar. It didn't work.

Any other ideas?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
What is the big deal?

You aren't going to be able to use that Folder when your hard drive isn't connected, so why is there a problem?

Making an alias to your hard drive or whatever folders you want, then dragging that alias into the Sidebar will keep it there.

iTunes works the same way - they are alias's to the hard drive, not actual files in iTunes (unless you have told iTunes to copy to music folder, which in your case no).

Use alias's.

Milan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
You aren't going to be able to use that Folder when your hard drive isn't connected, so why is there a problem?
I don't intend to use the folder when my hard drive is disconnected. But I do want to use the folder once the hard drive is connected again. If the Sidebar references would reappear, it wouldn't be a problem, but they don't.

Making an alias to your hard drive or whatever folders you want, then dragging that alias into the Sidebar will keep it there.
No.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Having being certain that it should work, I'm amazed that it doesn't!

I didn't realise the shortcut doesn't re-appear once you connect the media again. I made an alias, copied to my Desktop. When I disconnect the media, it doesn't let me drag that alias into the Sidebar.

Maybe a feature request - http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.