Finder Windows+NTFS

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by linkboy, Feb 20, 2012.

1. linkboy macrumors member

linkboy

Is there any way to add the sidebar to NTFS windows in Finder.

My NTFS (actually anything not HFS+) look like this

[​IMG]

when I want them to look like this

[​IMG]

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Huh? Those shots are identical. Edit: Ahh, that's better.

3. linkboy thread starter macrumors member

linkboy

Photobucket was being dumb.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

So you're saying if you click on the BOOTCAMP drive on the sidebar, the sidebar disappears?

5. linkboy thread starter macrumors member

linkboy

On my desktop, I have both the drive icons for my Bootcamp partition and my OS X partition.

If I open the Bootcamp drive, I get the above picture without the sidebar. Also, any folders I open will open in a new window as opposed to the same window. It gets annoying if I have to open a bunch of folders to get to a specific file.

If I open my HFS drive partition, everything works fine. I can access my Bootcamp partition via the sidebar and everything stays inside the same window.

I was thinking its because OS X can't write to NTFS drives, but a drive I have formatted for exFAT behaves the same way.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Even though native Mac OS X can't write to NTFS, it should have no problems reading it. I've never seen that behavior in Finder, but I usually launch Finder from the Dock and navigate from there.

7. linkboy thread starter macrumors member

linkboy

Got it.

It was due to the fact that OS X doesn't write to NTFS drives. I just installed the trial for Paragon NTFS, rebooted my computer and now its working just fine.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's just weird. I don't see any reason why that should affect the sidebar appearing, but I'm glad you sorted it out!