Finder windows position and settings no longer stored

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by Janichsan, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Janichsan macrumors 6502a

Janichsan

Since the update to 10.11.4, the Finder not only has forgotten what position and display options I had set before the update, it also no longer stores them: when I reboot or just restart the Finder, all the adjustments I made a gone again.

I already tried deleting the .DS_Store files and the Finder preferences, but to no avail. I also couldn't find any good tips on the web, but won't rule out I missed a good solution. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Position....I've never been able to maintain the position of Finder windows in OSX (started with 10.5). To do that you would have to avoid opening another folder in the current window.

3. NoBoMac macrumors 6502a

Position and size has been working for me for a long time, including after .4 update.

Like Gregg2 said, what I did was position and size the window like I like it, then close the window. If you access something from the Finder after positioning/sizing, the information is not saved/recorded.

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Found this tip:

When Finder windows do not maintain Arrange By Delete .DS_Store files with this Terminal command:

rm -f ~/Library{,/Preferences}/.DS_Store

cmd. | then path to file to be deleted | & file type

5. Janichsan, Mar 25, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2016

Janichsan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Janichsan

I tested that, but that makes no difference: as soon as I restart the Finder, it's back to the old (wrong) settings.

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Ok, I think it's time for you to create a new User Account and see if the problem exists there.

7. Janichsan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Janichsan

I actually already tried that by now, and yes, the problem persists.

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Go to an Apple Store and mess with one of the new Macs on display. Does it have the same problem you're having? If so, it probably is not considered a problem by Apple, and thus there is no "fix" for it.

9. Janichsan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Janichsan

Well, okay, I found the problem: the update had seriously f*cked up the permissions. A check with Disk Utility didn't catch or repair that. Thanks, Apple. :mad:

After some handiwork, I could fix that.

10. dsemf macrumors regular

Now that you have found the problem and solution, could you enlighten the rest of us with the details?

DS

11. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

I had been struggling with this problem/bug for ages, until I found FinderMinder (free). Since then Finder remembers the position and size as it is set in FinderMinder no matter what (including reboots etc.).
    I tried everything, nothing worked and nothing will, except that small third party application.

12. Janichsan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Janichsan

Simply select the problematic folders and/or drives, open the Information window (e.g. by cmd+I), and check the Permissions at the bottom. For example, "/Applications" should allow every admin account read and write access (it was limited to read only for me after the update). If wrong, change the permissions by clicking the padlock icon to unlock it, and edit the permissions as needed. If necessary, click on the gear icon and select "Apply to enclosed items".

For extra nerdiness, you could also do this in the Terminal with the chmod command.

13. dsemf macrumors regular

Thanks. I checked my admin account and it does not have any problems, at least not for /Applications.

On my system, /Applications is owned by root with a group of admin with read/write for both the owner and admin group. The id command verified that my admin account is a member of the admin group so everything worked fine for me.

Does the finder window size and placement retention work for your home directory locations, such as doing cmd-shift-h?

DS

14. Janichsan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Janichsan

Yes, these work.