Finder won't delete Files sent by Mail.app

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by josueblanco, Mar 17, 2010.

1. josueblanco macrumors newbie

If I send a file (images, docs, etc.) through Mail.app, and then try to trash that file through Finder, I get an error message when I attempt to empty the trash:

"The operation can't be completed because "filename" is in use."

I can do a secure empty trash but want to be able to use the shortcut keys. Thanks for the help.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you close Mail, they should delete just fine. The same is true when you've opened a file in Preview or another app. Just close the app that still has the file in use, and you'll be able to empty the Trash.

3. jocamero macrumors regular

I'm still experiencing this same issue with the latest version of OS X (10.6.7). Has any found a way to fix this without having to close mail and reopen? :confused:

4. Mikado58 macrumors newbie

Possible solution

This "problem" didn't start until I began using a signature file I created.
    Simply sending an email without the signature didn't solve it. I had to remove all signatures via the MAIL preferences for the problem to go away.
    1. Attach a file to an email
    2. send the email
    3. delete the file from desktop
    4. empty trash.

Then I recreated the signature. Could not do Step 4 without first quitting mail.

5. jocamero macrumors regular

What version of the Mac OS are you using? I'm using 10.7.3 and haven't experienced this bug in quite a while.