Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

durhambullsfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2009
I frequently want to search the contents of a folder (for example, I'll have a folder with a bunch of Word documents in it, and I want to find the documents that mention a specific word). In theory, Finder can do this; I'll search using the field at the top left of the window, then when results come up with select "<folder name>" instead of "This Mac." Yet I find that every time I do this, MacOS will return folder-specific items—but then a few seconds later it will populate the folder with hits from other parts of my hard drive. It doesn't do this consistently, but it does it enough that it frequently makes it impossible for me to find what I'm looking for.

Anyone experience this or know why it happens?

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
With that setting, will it "drill down" into folders that are in the currently open one? I suspect the answer is no.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The answer is "EasyFind":

It's small, free, and very easy to use.
Once you use this, you won't bother with the finder's "search" options any more.

Reactions: zevrix

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Works for me.

Maybe a corrupt search index? MS apps have a helper app that updates the Spotlight index whenever an Office document is saved and something might have gone wrong at some point.

Or from command line:

Code:
sudo mdutil -E /

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.