Finder

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jjaxx12, Jan 23, 2012.

1. jjaxx12 macrumors newbie

Hi not sure if im in right place? I was just about to delete all Documents in all Documents section of Finder but I suddenly thought will I loose everything of my computer as I have never deleted anything from this section before,can anybody please advise if its OK to delete All Documents from Finder??
    :confused: I have backed up but still dont want to loose everything
    that is on Computer!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you delete All Documents, you'll indeed delete all your documents. A good rule to follow is if you're not absolutely certain of what you're doing, don't delete.

Helpful Information for Any Mac User

3. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

All Documents is NOT a folder, its a search, and it shows many many files that most people would probably not think of as documents. jpegs (pictures) for example. DO NOT delete it :eek: as you will be deleting thousands of random files some of which your MAc or its applications will need to run.

Why are you looking at doing this? If its to prepare your Mac for resale there are better things to do.

4. jjaxx12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Finder

I was cleaning some thing up & then thought maybe it can all go then I thought maybe it's not a good move! I've never had comp lessons so this is the first time i did something nearly silly thing I've ever done in 6 yrs!!
    Now the only thing is I've tried putting them back but not all will go back so what do I do now?go to Apple store? Thanks again for your help :eek:

5. simsaladimbamba

Maybe you have to do it one item after one item.

And have a look at the link GGJstudios provided you with.

PS: Why didn't you use your first thread, which has the same exact and non-descript thread title as this?

6. jjaxx12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Finder

I couldn't find it sorry if I caused any problems! :confused:

7. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Its not clear to me if you did or didn't delete these files. Your first message says you were going to but indicates you didn't, your post at 12:32 indicates you did.

If you did, my advice is to reinstall from scratch and then restore from your backup (what sort of backup did you make?) as you have probably nuked a whole lot of system files and it will be problematic to put them all back so you'll continue having errors all the time.

"All images" & "all documents" are IMO dumb things for Apple to have ever put on the finder, because they are far more than just documents or images,and most people don't even realise this, or that these are not folders but searches. They see them and think they are duplicate files and the like, or need clearing out. Deleting all images for example, will also hose your system. I have switched mine off in finder preferences, i cant think of a single useful thing that these folders would help accomplish.

8. jjaxx12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Finder

I've just put them in Trash but haven't emptied it as yet thank goodness!
    There was something that I had on comp that made me stop,as i needed this item for work & saw i couldnt find it,then come here to double check that I was doing something wrong,& I was!
    Yeah they shouldn't have that all document finder part because as I thought it was a duplicated items too! The reason for cleaning up comp was my memory is quite full I got a small one years ago as I didn't know anything about comps so didn't know if I really needed a bigger one!! thanks for all your help will see if I can get them from Trash back to where they should go!:(

9. simsaladimbamba

You can always get a bigger external HDD if you need more space to store files.
    And if you have a MacBook or MacBook Pro, you could upgrade your internal HDD to a bigger HDD.

Btw, "memory" is not the same as "hard drive capacity":
    What is Computer Memory? RAM vs Hard Drive
    RAM vs. Hard Disk

10. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Its unlikely you will be be able to put them all back. You can try but my money is on your computer failing from time to time due to some obscure file missing that you were not able to successfully put back

Also, is there something wrong with your keyboard? It doesn't seem to be able to type "uter".

11. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Come on guys! Open up the Trash folder, select all the files (Command-A), go to the context menu (right click or control-click) and select "Put Back".

12. simsaladimbamba

That doesn't seem to work

13. simsaladimbamba

Using MacRumors Forums - Finding your own posts and threads

Find your own posts via your profile page
    (screenshots have been altered to shorten the width of the image and to exclude non-crucial information, but they should give you the gist of it)

• Click your username on the top right.
      [​IMG]
    • Now you arrived at your profile overview.
    • Click on the Statistics link.
      [​IMG]
    • Here you have an overview about
      • how many posts you have made,
      • what your daily post rate is (total posts divided by number of days you have been registered here),
      • and you can search for your posts (limited to the last 500 posts though)
        and/or the threads you have created (limited to the last 500 threads though).
    • Click on Find all posts by (username here) or Find all threads started by (username here) to find posts and threads by you.
      [​IMG]

14. jjaxx12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Finder

Thanks all help on everything including how to find my thread!
    So far my computer is looking good it seems like I didn't get rid of the important computer things just work stuff which is going back slowly! Will also try the command A thing too,maybe that will be faster! :)