Finder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ram171, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Ram171 macrumors member

Ram171

Hello All,

I was wondering about Finder and how it works. I use my MBP extensively at work but came to an interesting observation. I'm trying to see how finder can find certain files. Fortunately I've recalled certain files by remembering what folder they were in. In other words, if I search within finder for 123456, within folder x it doesn't show in finder. I'll only be able to access it if I go directly to the folder and open the file. Why is this happening? Shouldn't finder locate all files and folders within "this Mac"?

2. chown33 macrumors 604

Post a screenshot of the search window you're using to find 123456.

It can be difficult to give detailed answers to questions about hypotheticals (if "123456" is hypothetical) due to lack of context. Also, you might be accidentally leaving out an important detail, and seeing an actual screenshot shows us exactly what you're doing.

There are command-lines that can be pasted into a Terminal.app window that will do searches in a couple different ways. That would be the best way to find out why the Finder search window isn't showing what you expect.

Sometimes the solution is as simple as telling Spotlight to re-index the disk:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201716

3. Ram171 thread starter macrumors member

Ram171

Thanks for the help. I re-indexed the disk and now spotlight works great.