Finder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by luker, Apr 8, 2007.

1. luker macrumors newbie

I need an address bar in my finder to show me and let me change the directory I'm in, is there an option anywhere?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

No...this is wanted by many and people hope for it to come in 10.5 (expected around June). As WildCowboy pointed out, there are other options, but not like the Windows Explorer bar I assume you are thinking of...

4. luker thread starter macrumors newbie

:(

Thanks for the help and fast responses..

I'll pray for the best for 10.5. :(

5. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha luker,

There are a couple of things you can do, but not like in the Windows File Explorer, as pointed out by psychofreak.

First, you can type in the name of the folder, in the Spotlight text menu field, to which you wish to navigate, then you'll be presented with a Spotlight listing matching your search terms. You can then click on any of the folders presented and look in the status bar on the bottom of the Finder window to see the path.

Alternatively, you can go up in the current path by one of two methods. In the center of the Title Bar of the Finder window is the name of the current folder. Click the Command key and the folder name to see the path. You can then click on any of the folders listed in the path to navigate to that folder. You can also do this by customizing the toolbar and dragging the Path button to the toolbar. After that, simply clicking on the Path button allows you to see the current path, and the same applies.

Lastly, you can download Quicksilver, then invoke it and type in the name of the folder to which you wish to navigate to open up a Finder window opened to that particular folder.

I hope this helps you out. Personally, I'll put up with the lack of navigating the "Windows way", as I much prefer doings things the "Macintosh way." :D

:apple:HawaiiMacAddict

6. luker thread starter macrumors newbie

This quicksilver thing is cool Hawaiian, thanks for puting me onto it. :D

7. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha luker,

Sorry to get back to you so late, but I'm glad that I could be of help to you. I'm a fairly recent switcher, just having come to the light last August, but one thing that really helped me in my initial transition was the Apple/Macintosh community. I still maintain that the Apple and Macintosh users are a lot more helpful, and generally speaking, both nice and much better behaved, than our Windows counterparts. I'm just glad that, as much of a newbie as I am, I could be of help to another "maccie." :D

:apple:HawaiiMacAddict