Finderbar for iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by Taheen99, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Taheen99 macrumors newbie

I'm posting this because I only have access to my wifi iPad and want feedback from somebody with a 3G iPad.

I took it upon myself to make a theme to add an OSX Finderbar lookalike instead of the normal status bar. Thanks go Shaotse for the idea from this forum, your bar inspired me to theme one.

I'm still looking to adjust it for the spotlight search page, I am not thrilled with it there yet. Main thing is I would love a screenshot and feedback of somebody with a 3G. And any other problems so I can fix them.

Theme is in the modmyi repo, Finderbar OSX - iPad

Thanks

2. CID-77 macrumors newbie

Finderbar with 3G

[​IMG]

Hope this helps dude. Was curious though, what is the _MACOSX folder for, cause it just to just hold the same folder as the actual theme?

And did you make the folders in your screenshot with Categories?

3. 3282868 macrumors 603

First, you should use "MakeItMine" as the Finder bar is overlapping the 3G and WiFi indicators (install it and then clear the "Name" of your device). Once installed and the indicators are removed/cleared, you will see a WiFi/3G indicator appear on the Finder bar next to the "Go" menu.

Second, simply install Finder bar then CategoriesSB (it's available for purchase through Cydia) to organize your applications as you can with iOS4. You can also use "DiskAid" to access your iPad through its USB connection, allowing you to alter icons, etc. through a Finder-esque drag-n-drop interface. DiskAid is great as a lot of people do not like to take the time to time out terminal commands and it's much more suited for those who are visually oriented.

InfiniDock is also usually for dock customization, allotting more then six applications on the dock in addition to many other options. ProSwitcher HD is a great utility for multitasking, SBSettings is essential as well.

All those applications should get you a mini-OS X iPad device with iOS4 features.

4. CID-77 macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for your advice! I have MakeItMine. I thought leaving the field blank resets the name. Is there a way to remove the carrier name completely too? That's what you're saying, correct?

I also bought categoriesSB but it closes a few seconds after opening. I have no idea why. I did reinstall it. SBSettings has the same issue for me. I can use it, but when I press 'More' and go into the settings it closes after a few seconds. Really annoying.

I'll definetely check out DiskAid. I am currently trying to use a JPad icon for my Atomic Browser, but when I place a new icon in the Atomic app I don't get a clear background.

5. 3282868 macrumors 603

I used MakeItMine and uninstalled it before clearing out the changes. I had to reinstall it, and as I recall, I ran it, reset it so that the iPad went to factory defaults (I believe I either left the banner/carrier blank and exited the program and/or uninstalled it from Cydia, not using "Cydelete"). After that, the Finder Bar worked perfectly.

I haven't had any issues with CategoriesSB or SBSettings. Hmmmm. I know both were recently updated. I did have one issue with CategoriesSB, in that after about 10-15 minutes of reorganizing my applications and icons, it crashed (happened once or twice). I hate to mention it, but maybe you should restore your iPad and rejailbreak ( ? ). Otherwise try uninstalling and reinstalling the applications.

Ok, so icons, I had to learn this the hard way, and a lot of research. The iPad places shadows under the icons. This can be removed with a Winterboard theme "Custom remove iPad icon Shadows". There is also a matte finish with the iPad icons, but I didn't see the point in altering that as the icons looked fine after I modified them. Also make certain to clear out your iPad's icon cache (I forget the location of the iPad icon cache, I'll find out and post a response when I get a chance).

Make certain your icon's .png are 72x72 in size (some use 80x80). You'll notice that some app's have multiple icon.png files, this is because many app's are written for both the iPad and iPhone. The iPad uses 72 while the iPhone 3G/GS use ~54 and the iPhone 4 uses ~108 or higher due to the iPhone 4's retina display. You don't need to make multiple size .png's as the iPad OS automatically resizes application icons. Just one 72x72 icon for each app is all you need.

hope this helps

EDIT: Forgot to suggest, when modifying an applications icons don't delete the original icon(s). I copied them onto my Mac and also renamed the icon png(s), such as icon.png to icon (old).png. As only one icon is referenced in the plist, keeping the original(s) under different name(s) won't hurt and will allow you to easily reuse them should you need/want.

6. mrathee macrumors 6502

For some reason, when I try to change the carrier with make it mine, it wont change. the banner does, but carrier remains untouched.

I have tried restarting, reinstalling, etc etc, to no avail.

I want to get it adjusted so finderbar works looks normal without the overlapped bars and carrier info.

Any help?

7. 3282868 macrumors 603

Try leaving the carrier blank, or using just a space bar. If that doesn't work, leave it blank and uninstall Makeitmine through Cydia, not Cydelete.

8. mrathee macrumors 6502

It turns out MIM was working fine, but there was an interesting find. When i set springboard to safemode, the carrier changed to what I had just put in MIM, but in normal mode showed only AT&T and overlapped finderbar.

So, I snooped around a bit and discovered that if I disabled cellular data, then only wifi showed up, MIM showed what I added, and therefore removed what I added using the steps you posted above. This left only the wifi bars, and made finderbar work perfectly.

However, anytime I re-enable cellular data, it pulls back to the left, overlaps finderbar, and restores the AT&T carrier text

any help for that?

9. mrathee macrumors 6502

bump - anyone know how to fix this? still havent figured it out

10. 3282868 macrumors 603

As I only have a WiFi iPad, I haven't played around with the 3G version. It would seem the FinderBar tweak needs to be updated to account for another menulet for the 3G signal bars. Otherwise, you could use the Finderbar, just without the 3G bar, right?

Think I'm gonna use DiskAid to poke around the file structure of the FinderBar application, check out the plist and resources, maybe it could be easy to add that menulet.

11. mrathee macrumors 6502

I am new to editing themes and such so I wasn't able to figure it out. I assume that it would be pretty simple, just move 3G bars over (just as wifi does) and hide AT&T text.

either way, if you figure it out, that would be greatly appreciated.

12. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Can't get finderbar to show at all!

Not sure what is preventing it, but FinderBar isn't coming up for me even though it is installed. Anyone else struggle with the initial install? No MakeItMine here btw.

Update: Oh (^&)(*& I didn't even think that this might be a winterboard theme...DUH!!

13. theiphone1 macrumors newbie

finderbar for ipad

I installed the finderbard for the ipad through Cydia and activated it in winterboard and after i respring I still do not have it on my ipad??? Any ideas would be great.. I have the iPad 16gb none 3G running 4.2 firmware jailbroking from redsnow 9.6.. thanks

14. Lucchese macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,
    I would also like to know why the finderbar does not seem to work to for me.
    I have the same specs as theiphone1 except im running 4.2.1
    Would really like to get it to work ;)