Finder's Quicklook and Word Documents = Sucks (?)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Brandon263, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Brandon263 macrumors 6502

Does anyone have any idea why Finder's Quicklook can't zoom into Word documents like it does with PDFs? And it can't preview .docx files? It's kinda irritating...

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

If you knew why it won't do it, and then it still won't do it, will that eliminate your frustration?

3. rodman109110 macrumors 6502

It previews .docx files on mine just fine but it doesn't zoom. I think there is an option when you save word files to enable preview or something.

Attached Files:

4. Brandon263 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Rodman! That's actually a kinda awesome reply. I didn't know about that option.

Thanks for the prompt to introspection. (Was it an actual question or was it just a caustic comment? Tone is hard to convey in written messages.)

Strangely enough, I actually would feel better if I knew why it didn't zoom in, even if it still wouldn't do it. Maybe there's some flaw in Microsoft's Office suite that makes it difficult for Apple's programmers to make Quicklook zoom into Word documents. Or maybe they just don't care about perfecting that aspect of Quicklook.

Regardless, knowing why Quicklook functions the way it does would give me a sense of power = less frustration.

5. rodman109110 macrumors 6502

I think its a microsoft problem not an Apple/Quicklook problem. When office 2008 came out there were issues with spaces, like the window not staying in the assigned space but jumping to the active one or staying in the first space. A microsoft update fixed the issue so its probably how microsoft is utilizing the mac os x software(APIs? sorry i don't know technical terms).

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Not intended to be caustic. I should have used this ;)

It was just an observation that you did not ask if anyone knew how to fix the problem, just what causes it.

I once had a friend send me an e-mail asking if I knew the previous month's expenditure for a certain item. My reply was, "Yes."

7. Brandon263 thread starter macrumors 6502

You're probably right. Maybe they'll fix it in Office for Mac 2010.

Interesting observation. Maybe in my mind fixing it was secondary to finding out why it happens. Or maybe i do think in an illogical way and should have asked how to fix it. Regardless, Rodman's probably right that it's a Microsoft problem, which they might fix later.