Finding a file that does not come up when searched for in Finder

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jet9football, Jan 14, 2009.

1. jet9football macrumors newbie

For some reason today when I tried to do a Time Machine backup I got a message that said I wasn't authorized to backup file ".000d93af56f4" to my external hard drive. It said to locate the item in Finder and change the privacy settings. When I searched in finder, nothing came up.

I've never heard of or seen this file on my computer. Any idea how I could locate the file and remove it?

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

It's probably some file located in the system or in a Library folder in which I believe Spotlight doesn't search in (which is why I never use it). I think they gimped the normal search as well in Leopard, but it still can be used and is much more flexible than Spotlight. That's done just through the search field in the upper right hand corner of a Finder window or by hitting command-f in the Finder to bring up a search window.

While that also just searches basic folder, you can navigate to a folder that it doesn't normally search, like say the Preferences folder or the System or Library folder and do it there.

For example, hit command-f and type in ".com" and maybe a few things will come up. If you then close that search, navigate to your home/Library folder, perform the same search AND click the "Library" button (it's just below the search field to the left, defaults to Search: "This Mac" and otherwise Library will be replaced with whatever specific folder your in when you begin the search) and it will pull up a bunch more results.

I know it's kind of retarded, but that's how it is appearantly. That could be explained easier but..... not by me. So with that, you can go into your Finder and navigate to the home/Library and within there the Preferences folder and App Support folder and start your search there as that, to me, would be the most likely spots.

Orrrrrrrrrrr since I misread that original post and thought you were recovering FROM the backup. Just hop on to your Disk Utility app in the Utilities folder, run Repair Permissions, Restart the machine and then try the backup again.