Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grantw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2009
I'm looking to buy an inexpensive digital camera. I'm into film/video so definitely want full manual controls such as focus, shutter, exposure, etc. But I'm really only going to be using the camera to shoot locations and to storyboard and such.

So I'm looking for something used/discontinued that I could find on ebay for under $300. I just don't know what to look for when I'm getting a camera thats older as far as technology goes.

grantw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2009
probably bridge or DSLR. How big is the price difference. If I go DSLR I'm just interested in getting one lens.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
If you buy a bridge, I would look that it goes down to at least 28mm equiv.
Then you have to choose between photosite size and megapixels, stabilization.

With the 6MP Fujifilm S6000fd/S6500fd you maximize photosite size, but it doesn't have stabilization. It goes for about $200 on ebay.

For about $300, you can go DSLR and get a Nikon D50 with kit lens, for example. The image quality will be better, but you won't get the long zoom of a bridge.

I also don't know how good bridges are for manual focusing, for example (they may have an electronic coupling, not mechanical, BTW).
But you should know that for DSLR, some inexpensive lenses don't allow just to manually retouch when you are in autofocus mode, you have to switch them to MF first.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
probably bridge or DSLR. How big is the price difference. If I go DSLR I'm just interested in getting one lens.

Either an older Canon Rebel or Nikon D50. Bolth were sold with a "kit" 18-55 f/5.6 lens. The body and lens is easy to find now for $350 but you can find then for $300 with not much looking around.

THe SLR has a larger sensor. You will get much better images because of the better sensor. Also I set it will not be long before you decide you want another lens

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
It's easy to find a used Canon Digital Rebel XT with kit lens for under $300 on craigslist or ebay

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Do you shoot film SLR now? If so you should stick with that brand as the lenses are often/usually compatible. Almost any Nikon lens from the last 40 years will work on a Nikon SLR, for example. Sony bought Minolta's camera business, so lots of Minolta glass will work with Sony camera now, etc.

Rockies Photo

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2008
You can purchase a 20D, which is 4.5 year old tech, for around $250. It was announced in August 2004, and started selling in late Sept/ early October 2004. The 20D uses the body housing, that is presently still used by the 50D. Not much has changed except the Menu layout, increase in LCD size, & Megapixel counts. :)

Here is a Review Link, if you desire to learn more info about the 20D.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”

I got the Panasonic FZ8 "bridge" - missed my SLR (sold off most my film stuff), and got an Olympus E-500 kit.

Was so dissapointed with the Panasonic and loved the Olympus, I sold it and got a second Olympus body, the E-420, which is pretty compact, only slightly larger than the FZ8 (and fit in the same case...) ;)

Do yourself a favor and stay away from those "bridge" cameras - most use the tiny P&S sensors.

You can purchase a 20D, which is 4.5 year old tech, for around $250. It was announced in August 2004, and started selling in late Sept/ early October 2004. The 20D uses the body housing, that is presently still used by the 50D. Not much has changed except the Menu layout, increase in LCD size, & Megapixel counts. :)

Here is a Review Link, if you desire to learn more info about the 20D.

I also got a sweet deal on a 20D used, which I will use for renting long telephotos (too expensive to own).

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
Sorry for the nubee question, what exactly is a "bridge camera"?

"bridge" between a Point & Shoot and a dSLR. Also called "like-dSLR".

They have a viewfinder that shows what the lens is viewing and a long zoom - no detachable lenses, though.

Harkens back to the days of those non-interchangeable lens film SLR's.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
keh and b&h photo video both have used camera departments. I haven't personally bought anything there, but the reviews for both places are generally very high in terms of the quality. They rate everything for condition, and most people are pleasantly surprised that the condition is at least as good if not better than rated.

Anyway, may be more reliable/trustworthy than ebay.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004

They have a viewfinder that shows what the lens is viewing and a long zoom - no detachable lenses, though.

The viewfinder is electronic, and NOT like the one in the Panasonic G1.

wbaetz

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2009

Thanks. That's what I have now, an Olympus C2100 UltraZoom. I've actually been very pleased with the pictures that come out of it, but it's starting to act flakey, and I want something with higher resolution. Trying to decide whether or not to make the step up do a true dSLR or go with another "Bridge".

wbaetz

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2009
The viewfinder is electronic, and NOT like the one in the Panasonic G1.

So you're saying that most "Bridge" cameras have viewfinders that approximate the view through the lens as opposed to true dSLR's? But the Panasonic G1 is a "Bridge" camera with a true viewfinder?

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
So you're saying that most "Bridge" cameras have viewfinders that approximate the view through the lens as opposed to true dSLR's? But the Panasonic G1 is a "Bridge" camera with a true viewfinder?

No, the G1 is not a bridge, it is an EVIL, and it has a revolutionary LCOS electronic viewfinder.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
I've got to go along with those who say get either a Nikon D50 w/kit 18-55 lens or a Canon Rebel (don't know which one is equivalent...) and kit lens. They're easy to use, have 'normal' viewfinders, 28mm equivalent lenses, quick response time compared to non-dSLRs, and more flexibility - not to mention better image quality. The D50 has a really decent built-in flash that is a lot more usable than most bridge/point 'n shoot cameras. If you can get one with lens in good shape for $300, it's a good deal. Plus, you can use any old Nikon lens with the D50 because it has the old lens screw-drive, as well as electrical contacts for newer lenses with built-in motors and image stabilization. The form factor of the D50 is bigger, and more substantial in the hand than the D40-D60 series, which is why a lot of people liked them better.

Good luck.

PS: Since video is your field, any recommendations on best budget HD camcorder? (note: not trying to actually change the topic... but just asking for a point in the right direction... :))

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
^^^ Sony Webbie HD (bet you'll make the shots look like they're from a Canon XL1) :eek:

;)

OP - Yes, if you're going to spend as much as a close-out, used, or refurbished dSLR camera, forget P&S or "bridge" entirely...

P&S are great fun, but wouldn't spend over $200 for one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.