Finding a HD enclosure for iMac G4's HD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Spike Spiegel, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Spike Spiegel macrumors regular

I just removed the hard drive from my mother's iMac G4 700MHz with the intention of salvaging the data by putting it in a drive enclosure. From what I understand, the drive is Ultra ATA-133. Is there a specific enclosure I would need? Also, would I be better off ordering from some place online than going to a local Staples or Best Buy?

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Any non-SATA external case (which is to say nearly all external drive cases) should work fine with that drive, although if you don't have USB2 on your Mac, you'll want to be sure to get one that has a FireWire port, or it will be REALLY slow transferring files.

Don't get it from Staples or the like--they mostly only carry ones that already have a drive installed, and are probably drastically overpriced unless on a big sale.

If you don't have a favorite online seller of this sort of thing (I usually use NewEgg or maybe OWC), just go to DealMac.com, go to the storage section, and pick out a decent-looking 3.5" one (either USB2 or dual USB/FireWire), and get that. Probably will cost around $25 for USB2 only, maybe $35 for FW.