Finding a job in Michigan...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by det2004, Dec 23, 2008.

1. det2004 macrumors 6502

2. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I bet.

What about Ann Arbor or Lansing? Maybe college towns are a little more recession proof?

3. det2004 thread starter macrumors 6502

Maybe if I had a college degree. I'm only about halfway through my AAS. I was making about $20/hr in my last job, but now I can't even get interviews for jobs paying $9/hr.

4. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

It's not impossible but prospects are dim. I have a few friends in Mi. and they all say the same thing. Don't kick yourself too bad - they have degrees. Good luck.

5. RayStar macrumors member

RayStar

It is so awful for so many to find employment now. Downsizing in the Big 3, hurt a lot of other companies. I wish you lots of luck in your search.
    Happy Holidays:)

6. mach42006 macrumors member

I've lived in Michigan all my life. My mother recently decided to re-enter the workforce, and it took her quite a long time to find a job, and it's in the $9/hr range. I'm currently a student at UM in Ann Arbor, and I'm very grateful that I have 4-5 more years of schooling ahead, because, even with a college degree, I would hate to be graduating and entering the job market within the next couple years. Even then, I can't see myself working in Michigan after I'm done with school. There is so little opportunity here compared to other nearby areas, like Chicago. I wish you luck, and happy holidays!