Finding a New HDD for my Mac Pro, need help!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iOryan, Jun 3, 2008.

1. iOryan macrumors newbie

Hey MR'ers. I got a quick question for you...

I recently bought a mac pro for my video editing and 3d apps so I dont know too much about hardware specs just yet. I'm planning on buying a "Black Magic Intensity Pro" (HDMI Capture Card) and was wondering what kind of hdd should I purchase to aid in the efficiency of the card & store the uncompressed videos? (Internal or External)

Also, any recommendations as far as where to buy the hdd?

------------------
    EDIT: After reading the first two posts, it seems like I need to purchase a HDD from newegg. I just have another question that I would like answered...

Would this be good?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136131

I've heard you need a really good Harddrive to record HDD onto. Is this true? If so, would the one listed above be good enough?
    ------------------

Thanks in advance,
    Ryan

2. steeler macrumors regular

I can answer the where to buy: newegg.com
    The prices are usually really good and the customer service is great.

OWC (macsales.com) would be my second choice for a HDD

3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I second NewEgg. Buy a SATA drive. If you do go External, use only Firewire drives if you're planning to edit video on it.

It's easy to install a SATA drive in a Mac Pro though.

Myself, I prefer Western Digital drives. They tend to be quiet compared to other brands IMHO and I've never had a hard drive failure.

4. iOryan thread starter macrumors newbie

5. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

That should be a good hard drive for you, and no, you do not need a really good hard drive to record HD on to, you can put HD on any hard drive as long as the connection supports fast enough transfer rates (SATA will do the job well, don't worry about it).

6. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

What kind of video footage are you capturing, depending on that is the speed needed in the drives (Raid)

7. iOryan thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll be using the HDMI port on the Black Magic Intensity Pro...

my friend says when recording in HD, your recording at around 110mb/s... I don't know how true that is, but if thats the case - would that harddrive I listed above be right for the job?