Finding an Ac Adaptor and battery for an old Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by humble turnip, Apr 30, 2019.

1. humble turnip macrumors newbie

I have an old 17" Mac Book Pro (A1229) from 2007 that I occasionally use (like 3 or 4 times a month).
    The UK AC Adaptor and battery have both stopped working.

I went on eBay UK to find a replacement, but they no longer have official replacements for this machine. What's a good third party brand to buy which won't damage the system? I need it to be one sold in the UK.

Also, I only replaced the AC Adaptor and battery 3 years ago. Is it normal for them to die that quickly? Like I said, I only use it 3 or 4 times a month for around 30 minutes each time, so I wouldn't have thought that little usage would have been an issue.

The original one that came with the machine lasted for 10 years (and that was back when I was using the system full time).

I wonder if I might have got fakes (although they look identical to the originals)

Thanks for any help!

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Did you get a new replacement battery or was is used/refurbed?

3. pshufd macrumors 6502a

I see them for sale on Craigslist regularly in the United States. I think that we have five or six of them in our household that still work. We lost one of them a long time ago. I bought several adapters so that we use them for spares for our newer MacBooks which use MagSafe2. Do you have the equivalent of craigslist there? That might be a way to go. I would rather go with OEM chargers than aftermarket. You might want to get two of them if you intend to use the laptop for a long time.

4. humble turnip thread starter macrumors newbie

They were brand new and sealed, so I am surprised they went so quickly.