Finding corrupt files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kyle M, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Kyle M macrumors newbie

Computer Info:
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP51.007E.B05
    SMC Version (system): 1.41f2

Background Info:
    A year into ownership of my MBP I had a hard drive failure (covered under apple care). I had backups of the drive, but they were a couple months old and I wanted to try and recover the missing months. Apple let me keep my old drive which I put into an enclosure and was able to mount. I used Data Rescue 3 and performed a deep scan of the failed drive. I was able to recover most of the data. Data Rescue did mark some files in red (which I believe means that it was unable to completely recover) and unfortunately I chose to bring some of those files over to the new drive (MISTAKE). Some of the locations I remember these files were in my itunes, iphoto, and imovie libraries.

Current Day:
    My MBP has been actin un-Macish and I am tired of it. I want to start with a clean system and only bring in known clean information. I just am unable to find an app that will scan my drive and mark corrupted files. So that is the question, how can I scan my current info and find out what files are corrupted? I know of some files, like in iphoto I have pictures that will not open. But those are only small examples of known files, there are many others out there that I can not take the time to look through.

Please let me know what you think I should do, thanks in advance

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Can you give more details on what you mean? What exactly has been happening?
    Corrupt or damaged user files won't impact your Mac's performance. They just sit on your hard drive until you try to open them.

There's no app that can identify all corrupted files. For example, if a .jpg is corrupted, the file itself may be intact and a valid .jpg file, but only when you open it with an image app and look at it will you notice that the picture isn't properly displayed. The same goes for other user-created files. The only way you'll know they're corrupt is to open them with the appropriate apps and see what they do.

3. Kyle M thread starter macrumors newbie

in order for iMovie to start, I have to go into preferences and delete "com.apple.iApps.plist" then iMovie will start fully. Also I in iPhoto i get 5-10sec of the beach ball every time I move from event to event.

I feel as if the read/write speed has been slowly decreasing. And I feel it happens with programs that are having to access information on the hard drive where corrupt data exist. Sometime the system crashes and sometimes it just takes a long time.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You may want to try repairing permissions. You can also re-index your drive and see if that helps.

5. Kyle M, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011

Kyle M thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your help! One other odd thing is that the 3 finger swipe that does page up and down has never worked since as well. Just another annoying issue

EDIT: Just googled this issue and found some possible fixes, I will check them out once my system is done indexing

6. bennyNYC macrumors newbie

Hi, 2 cents here... in fact, sometimes they actually can affect performance. In rare cases, they can really screw up Spotlight, stopping it dead in its tracks. And then when that happens, (in addition to, of course, not being able to find files), some programs can't even open (like Pro Tools 9, Logic Pro).

Just spent about a million hours trying to pinpoint the location of some corrupted Sound Designer II files. These music programs generate hundreds or even thousands of tiny little files in any given project, so this was a major headache. :) So, I too was trying to find some magic program that found corrupted files, to no avail, of course.

Happy Holidays!

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What proof do you have that a corrupted file can have any effect on Spotlight? You can have thousands of damaged or corrupt files, partial files, incorrect extensions, no extensions, etc. and Spotlight keeps going fine. It either indexes the file or it doesn't, but it doesn't stop. A file doesn't have to be valid to be indexed by Spotlight, as it doesn't attempt to open any files while indexing. If Spotlight fails to locate files, simply re-index the drive.