Finding current free space/capacity.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by xxxzombie, Jan 20, 2008.

1. xxxzombie macrumors newbie

i'm borderline OCD about free space on my hard drive.

since i've switched to a mac, i haven't been able to figure this out. i selected 'get info' on my Macintosh HD, and it only displays it's size at 188 KB on disk.

is there another way to find out how many GB are available and have already been used?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

If you Ctrl+Click on your hard drive in the devices list in your finder window, and then select "Get Info" it tells you the capacity of the drive, and how much is available.

3. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Is this what you are looking to do

Under Finder>View>Show View Options>Show info.

4. xxxzombie thread starter macrumors newbie

that's what i tried and it only shows 'size' among other useless information.

5. xxxzombie thread starter macrumors newbie

i tried that too, Reflow and that only displayed info for everything but Macintosh HD.

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

That's because you are Getting Info on the wrong thing. You need to get info on your HD, not your Home Folder. The HD (by default is called Macintosh HD) is located under the Devices heading in the sidebar.

Attached Files:

7. xxxzombie thread starter macrumors newbie

actually, thank you swiftaw, that worked. i didn't realize i was supposed to look in the devices menu and ctrl+click. haha whoops.

it turns out i have 82 GB available and 28 used.

is that pretty good then? for some reason i thought i chose a bigger HD when i ordered...hmmm

8. noahdude macrumors newbie

A good answer :)

Hey!

To view the space on all of your devices (hard drive, flash drives you inserted, what-have-you) with it broken down into a graph telling you where all of your space is being used, you can do the following:

1.) Click on the apple sign :)apple:) in the top left-hand corner of your device.

2.) On the list of options, click on "about this mac."

3.) In the window that pops up, click on "more info."

4.) Another window should come up. Click on "storage" in the tabs that appear.

There, you SHOULD find everything you seemed to be looking for.

Hope that helps! :)