Finding files in Time Machine?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by DisplacedMic, Nov 9, 2013.

1. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

Hello,
    I have a June 2013 MBA running OSX 10.9
    My Time Machine is the latest 2tb Apple Time Capsule.

Backups appear to be working fine, but when I enter time machine I am unable to search for files. No matter what I enter into the search box, nothing is returned, even if I type something common like "and"
    no dice.

I can be looking in the folder at the date where I know the file is, type the title and it returns nothing. And yes, i am changing the search to the folder in question, but it finds nothing...

if i close out of TM and then enter again sometimes i can get it to return the search in question, but very inconsistent?

What gives?

If i were looking for a file called "bananas.doc" that i deleted or lost but wasn't sure when, it was my understanding that i could just type bananas into the search box and then click the large up/down arrow and it would find the most recent change?

is that not the case?

also - it hangs quite a bit. I don't use time machine very often, but it has crashed on me the past 2 times i've used it. i would like to know that it is stable and working properly.

any ideas or similar experiences?

2. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Time Machine™ is very stable here (Mac OS X 10.6.8).

Btw, Find Any File can find your files in no time. You can then use Time Machine to restore the file(s)/folder(s).

3. DisplacedMic thread starter macrumors 65816

yep - never had any problems on snow leopard either.
    will check out find any file, thanks!