Finding imported photos in Aperture

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by jacg, May 1, 2011.

1. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

Hi there. Hope someone can help. Perhaps I'm being really dim but how do I search for images I've recently imported but which weren't shot recently? At the moment, if I use folder actions to automatically import images for later, unless I go straight to Aperture to find it and put in in an album, it gets put into it's own little project and lost amongst all the other ones in the clunky project view (that brings my MBP to its knees).

Can't I search by 'date added' like in iTunes? Then I could have a smart folder for stuff added in the last week. I can't seem to find any metadata to help me out. Search by 'import session' is too specific (I'd need to know the date and time of import!).

Help! This was really annoying in iPhoto so I'd assumed Aperture would be more helpful.

2. emorydunn macrumors 6502

emorydunn

The best way I can come up with is to filter based on capture date. For instance, you could filter to photos taken in January 2011.

But really what I would do is deal with the photos as soon as you import them so they don't get lost. Or, even better would be to not use folder actions but import them directly into Aperture and file them where they need to go.

Attached Files:

3. jacg thread starter macrumors 6502a

jacg

I was beginning to think I would have to change my workflow. 'Date created' can't do 'in the last month' etc. I wonder why not?

The reason I set up folder actions was so I could add images from Mail, etc and have them tagged & imported automatically. I just click 'save as' then click on one of the import folders in my sidebar. If they are old photos, I can never find them!

I guess I'll have to tag them with a colour or something and set up a smart folder for them, and periodically untag them all...

Thanks for your help.

4. emorydunn macrumors 6502

emorydunn

Could you have the folder action put them in a "new" album instead of filing them away completely?

5. jacg thread starter macrumors 6502a

jacg

When it does an auto-import, can I perform that as an action?

Auto-import seems to do its own thing: sometimes it makes a new project, sometimes not perhaps. The projects get scattered all over the place. I am not helped by having over 1000 'projects' from iPhoto libraries.

I get it... I'm not using it right! Auto-import is the problem here.

6. emorydunn macrumors 6502

emorydunn

I really have no idea if auto import will do that. Do you have the folder action set up through Automator? If so you could set it to give you the option to name the project when the action runs.

7. jacg thread starter macrumors 6502a

jacg

Yes, I need to go back to Automator and explore the options available.

Thanks for all the help.

8. emorydunn macrumors 6502

emorydunn

No problem, glad I could be of service. Too bad Aperture doesn't have a few more sorting options.