Finding iPhoto Pictures

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by boulderskies, May 20, 2013.

1. boulderskies macrumors newbie

There is so much mis-information and general bs on this forum responding to people asking how to find their iPhoto photos, I registered as a new user. Here is the simple answer:

* In iPhoto, select the photo or photos you are interested in.

* In the File menu, select Reveal in Finder.

* Right click on the file if you just want one file. If you want more than one, single click on one of all of them, and command-A. This will select all the files.

* After you right click, select Get Info. The location will show in the box at right.

Dont know why people cant just supply this info without all the editorializing.

2. boulderskies thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

What you say is correct, however, it is strongly advised not to do it that way. Messing about with photos in their folders can seriously corrupt the iPhoto Library, and cause major problems.

There should be no need to do it that way. If you want one of your pictures to use outside of iPhoto, either Export it, via the File menu, or just drag and drop it into Finder.

4. boulderskies thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree that Export works well. However, I defy anyone to find the photo after "drag and drop" to Finder. Where does it go?

I also have found no evidence that any corruption takes place if messing about with photos in their folders.

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Where ever you drag and drop it to. I usually use the Desktop, or a folder on the Desktop.

If, for example, you go into one of those folders and delete or move pictures, then when you next open iPhoto, the thumbnails will still be there, but when you try and view those pictures that you have deleted, or moved, iPhoto will be unable to find them. By that time, you will have forgotten which photos you have deleted/moved, and will just curse iPhoto for a useless piece of Apple junk.

This is from an Apple document:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TA44611?viewlocale=en_US

6. boulderskies thread starter macrumors newbie

Dave, now that you've supplied more detail (the Apple support thread), I agree completely. It only makes sense. But if someone simply wants to attach a photo to an email (which I have many times and couldnt find the damn thing), your File, Export tip is excellent. The file is not being moved, deleted, or anything, its being COPIED so it can then be attached to the email.

Thanks for your help. I learned something.

Scott

7. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

That's ok.

8. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Without wishing to rub it in (And I commend your acceptance of the information), this is a perfect example of why answers to questions that often appear to be quarrelsome -- "don't do it that way, do it this way instead", etc -- are actually helpful.

In the face of all the minutiae of computer apps and interfaces, it's very easy to forget that our higher end goals -- doing stuff -- are really the only things that matter, and our allegiance to particular methods can often be blinding.

These forums are at their best when we learn new stuff -- God knows I've learnt tonnes from sites like this one -- and adapt to "working smarter". Nearly all the best advice I've seen is along of lines of "stop worrying about this tiny problem and tell us what you're actually trying to achieve".

All the best

9. boulderskies thread starter macrumors newbie

benwiggy,

I do appreciate your sentiments.

To appreciate my original sentiment, search on "how to find iPhoto photos or files" or some such. You will find a wealth of opinions and not very many specific "how to's." This thread was an attempt to address that and I believe that we did.

Scott