Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quamsi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2013
Not sure where to post this. My apologies in advance if this is the wrong forum. Anyway, Hi All. I have a silver/white 32 gb + LTE Ipad Air that I have been trying to sell for a couple weeks now. I've tried Ebay and Craigslist with steady ads. It's in mint condition (only a month old now and not a mark on it). I've marked it down to more than $100 off retail price, including three cases, one of which is a genuine smart cover, and a back skin. Warranty for 11 months left. I am trying to get around $630 for it so I can turn around and purchase a rMini. Getting frustrated though. This is my first Apple product and I really am surprised that I am having this problem. I haven't even had one bite of interest shown. What is the deal? What can I do? Thanks in advance!

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
You've got a positioning problem. The kinds of people who buy the 64/128 configs are the kinds who also like to buy new. Folks looking for a bargain won't pay much past 150 off the 32 tier.

Option 1: find someone going the other direction, has a mini and wants an air

Option 2: pretend its a 32 wifi

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
You may have to drop the price to almost half. I sold a 32GB Mini on AT&T for $325 in December. It was listed for weeks and I kept getting offers for almost half that. People can buy a refurb Air on the Apple store for $100 off or close to it so you should remember that.

sammy-boy

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2013
Staffordshire, UK
Could just be the time of year, people are just getting paid over the next few days after xmas so I imagine many people are skint. Maybe you'll get a few more bites in the next few days.

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
Hmm, many of the completed listings, EBay, (same specs) are between 550-700.
But the majority of those are NIB.

Craigslist is tough, esp with cellular, as the market is much smaller.

Probably don't want to hear it but I'm sure you'd sell it on Ebay with $575 reserve.

quamsi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2013
Ouch. You guys are killin' me, especially when Ebay takes 10% and Paypal takes 3%. Okay, thanks.

thespazz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
It sucks trying to sell a cellular iPad. No one really sees the advantage. I priced one of mine WAY down just because I never got any offers. I'm talking 50% retail. It was ridiculous.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
You may have to drop the price to almost half. I sold a 32GB Mini on AT&T for $325 in December. It was listed for weeks and I kept getting offers for almost half that. People can buy a refurb Air on the Apple store for $100 off or close to it so you should remember that.

I don't see it. Man that's a good deal as refurbed iPad's from Apple are as good as new. Here's the link and I only see up to 4th gen.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
And if you keep listing on Craigslist, keep relisting everyday and don't remove the old ads. I sold mine on a Saturday morning and got my asking price of $325. I also relisted a 16GB 4S the same Saturday morning and sold it the same day. I met with the buyers an hour apart and went down to buy my new Retina Mini.

----------

I don't see it. Man that's a good deal as refurbed iPad's from Apple are as good as new. Here's the link and I only see up to 4th gen.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

Oh oh, just assumed they had some refurb Airs already. But if the OP is selling his at only $100, no one will be interested.

quamsi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2013
Yeah, I've messaged every person selling a 32-64 lte rMini on Craigslist within two hours of me and not one person is willing to trade- an even trade at that.

Also, I can't believe people don't see the benefits of higher storage and cellular!

----------

And if you keep listing on Craigslist, keep relisting everyday and don't remove the old ads. I sold mine on a Saturday morning and got my asking price of $325. I also relisted a 16GB 4S the same Saturday morning and sold it the same day. I met with the buyers an hour apart and went down to buy my new Retina Mini.

----------

Oh oh, just assumed they had some refurb Airs already. But if the OP is selling his at only $100, no one will be interested.

I just want to make enough that I can turn around and purchase a 32 gb rMini with cellular. Not trying to be unreasonable.

tdiaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2006
Also, I can't believe people don't see the benefits of higher storage and cellular
Oh, some do. :) They see that they can score a decent deal on the second hand market. ;-)

But reselling, the cellular function makes no real bump. All it does is put yours at an advantage over one that has only WiFi, in that 10 people may be looking to buy, -ONE- may want cellular. So the price is going to be a score for them.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Yeah, I've messaged every person selling a 32-64 lte rMini on Craigslist within two hours of me and not one person is willing to trade- an even trade at that.

Also, I can't believe people don't see the benefits of higher storage and cellular!

----------

I just want to make enough that I can turn around and purchase a 32 gb rMini with cellular. Not trying to be unreasonable.

You'll likely have to add some money to whatever you sell for to buy the Mini.

Like I said above, I sold my original Mini for $325, the 16GB 4S for $300 and had to add money to buy the 32GB AT&T Retina I wanted. Two weeks later, I exchanged it for the 128GB. I originally bought my AT&T Mini back in June for $460 at Micro Center so I didn't lose a whole lot.

I know I will not get nearly as much when I sell the 128GB but whatever I do get next year is fine.

mattbaar26

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013

----------

I absolutely hate people like you on CL who realist every day and don't keep the old ones, you know that everyone can see you constantly relisting them? I actually will not even look at an ad that is constantly relisted with the old ones still there anymore.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I absolutely hate people like you on CL who realist every day and don't keep the old ones, you know that everyone can see you constantly relisting them? I actually will not even look at an ad that is constantly relisted with the old ones still there anymore.

Didn't stop people from looking at mine. I even got offers a few weeks after selling because apparently I missed deleting one or two ads.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Return on resale price vs. full retail price diminishes quickly as you approach high storage capacity models and cellular models. Anything other than the base 16GB with Wi-Fi you have to cut quite a bit off of retail in order to move a used one. Most people who want the higher capacity and LTE models usually buy them new. Something like $200 below retail might get you some bites.

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
It sucks trying to sell a cellular iPad. No one really sees the advantage. I priced one of mine WAY down just because I never got any offers. I'm talking 50% retail. It was ridiculous.

It's not that they dont see the advantage, its just your customer. Buying on CL/ebay is usually for those who dont want to spend a pretty penny on tech, and are willing to settle for less.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
How much luck have you ever had selling a car within a month or two of buying it?

The situation doesn't make sense. You bought the thing. I'm sure it's really, really nice. You just can't stand the fact (revealed after purchase) that it's not small?

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
Ouch. You guys are killin' me, especially when Ebay takes 10% and Paypal takes 3%. Okay, thanks.

I have to agree with the other poster and say that the 32GB might be part of the problem. Have you also tried Craig's List, they are free in many cities!

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I am trying to get around $630 for it so I can turn around and purchase a rMini. Getting frustrated though. This is my first Apple product and I really am surprised that I am having this problem. I haven't even had one bite of interest shown. What is the deal? What can I do?
What are comps going for? Does no good to list it for what you want when similar items are going for less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.