Finding MacBook Pro generation without serial number

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iaddict, Dec 18, 2010.

1. iaddict macrumors 6502

I purchased a refurbished MacBook Pro for my daughter. I am looking for a case to fit it but I have no idea which generation it is. I have tried to find that online, but I haven't found it. I don't have the serial number, only the model number? I do I know which one it is so I can search for a case?

Also any recommendations for a case that is actually something that the computer stays in as it is being used. She has a 3yr old son....I'm thinking it needs protected.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Apple menu -> About This Mac -> More Info -> Hardware Overview -> "Model Identifier"

(It also tells you the serial number there.)

3. iaddict thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't have the laptop with me. She has it and I haven't been able to get the serial number. I wanted to surprise her so I didn't know if there was another way to find out what generation it is so I can purchase a case for it?

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It probably gives a model number in your invoice something like FA4454/LL. (refurbs have slightly different numbers than their new counterparts). Check and see what you have invoice wise.

B

5. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

If you bought it then you should have a copy of the order and/or sales receipt. Look on either of those for a model number. Also when did you buy the thing and did you get it from Apple? If it was purchased in last 6 months from Apple you got a current generation machine.

6. iaddict thread starter macrumors 6502

I just bought it a month ago from the refurb department. Model number is FB990LL/A. I can't find my receipt and the one they emailed me only has model number on it. I think it was a mid 2009 unibody. Is that all I need to know in order to get a case to fit it?

7. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

A simple Google search gives you this.

It's a Mid 2009 model, the non-refurb part number is MB990LL/A.

Mactracker is a great help for identifying your Mac. :)

8. iaddict thread starter macrumors 6502

OllyW....thanks. I found that too. Just thought I needed to know the generation it is before ordering but I think I found it.

Any advice on good cases - or do they make ones that stay on the laptop?

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Not sure how good, but both Speck and Incipio make cases that stay on http://www.speckproducts.com/macbooks/macbook-pro-13-aluminum-black.html

B