Finding misfiled email

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fussyoldfart, Jan 1, 2016.

1. fussyoldfart macrumors newbie

fussyoldfart

Using search finds old email messages I want but does not tell me where they are filed. If I have to use "search" it's because I have forgotten where I filed the message in the first place. I'd like to re-file it and associated messages, perhaps in a new folder.

How do I discover the exact location of such a message?

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

When the search results come up, find the email that you want and just drag from the list to the new Folder in the Sidebar.

3. fussyoldfart thread starter macrumors newbie

fussyoldfart

Thanks, that will solve for the email found by "search" but will not allow me to examine the folder it was in to correct other misfilings.

4. Efrem macrumors member

While your search results are visible, go to View>Columns. Presumably Mailbox is not checked, or you would see a column that gives the mailbox that each found message is in. Check it.

5. fussyoldfart thread starter macrumors newbie

fussyoldfart

I tried that but it didn't get me the result I wanted either. You have reminded me that I can probably try searching each individual Mail Box (will do so later) but this is a pretty slow way to work.

6. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I have two accounts in Mail and I'm not using the "Classic View". When I click, in the Mailbox List, the "MAILBOXES" heading I can do a search that looks in every folder of both accounts. The resulting message list gives me the name of the parent folder of every email in the list (under the date). It doesn't show the path to that folder, however.