Finding Office 2010 Product Key

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BigAl27, Aug 21, 2013.

1. BigAl27, Aug 21, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2013

BigAl27 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have Office 2011 installed on my MacBook Pro and I have just bought a new 21" iMac to work as a separate machine in my office. When I copied the applications and documents across from the MacBook to the iMac, Office now asks for a product key. I remember when I bought the software that I could use it on more than one Mac at a time, but I cannot find where I have put the box with the product key. Is there any way of searching my MacBook for the product key? Office is still installed and working on it.

I would rather not have to buy a second copy of Office if I can avoid it.

Thanks

Alex

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Check your receipt or email where you bought it. For instance if you got it from amazon, you can look at your order and get the key.

3. BigAl27 thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought it from a computer shop in Germany, I still have the receipt, but it doesn't have the product key on it.

4. Zerozal macrumors 6502

Open Word and in the menu bar go to Word-->About Word. The About Word dialog box will display your Product ID.

5. r0k, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2013

r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I'm confused by your response to this thread. How does a link to buy Office 2011 help the OP when he just said he would "rather not?"

6. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Amazon should have the key in the order history if you originally bought it there.

7. bobnugget macrumors regular

You could try copying the folders the user is instructed to delete in this thread from your MacBook to your iMac (do NOT delete them :) ). That should copy the key over.

8. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

You can probably search it out in the plist files, but be careful not to delete / move anything there.

Failing that if you registered the product you can go to the MS registration page and the key should appear there along with any other MS products you own.

9. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

The OP already stated above that they bought it at a computer shop in Germany, NOT Amazon. The mods came along and deleted the spammy post I quoted earlier. I have also edited my quote to remove the link.

10. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Not if he bought the boxed version. The key is inside the box and is completely unavailable until the box is opened.
    Product ID != Product key. The Product ID will not help here.

OP, I know you said you lost the box, but if you still have the install disc, Microsoft should be able to help. If you don't have the install disc, I don't know of anywhere on the hard drive the key can be recovered. It's not stored on your mac in a readable format as far as I can tell.