Finding Old Backup in iTunes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by galaxy7, Feb 23, 2014.

1. galaxy7 macrumors member

So, hope this is the best place to ask...

I'm trying to find a backup of the phone in iTunes and it is gone now. When iTunes is open, I went to iTunes>preferences>devices, and the backup I'm looking for is gone. It was there a few weeks ago, but no longer. Where are these at on the computer (what folder), and is it possible to recover this backup from TimeMachine? I can't figure out how to restore iTunes to an older date from TimeMachine but figure there's a way to restore the folder/location this backup may be residing in...yea??

Thanks for the help guys.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Was the old backup named differently than your current backup?
    Cause what itunes does now is it updates and overwrites the older backups when you sync or backup your phone with itunes.
    So if you had it named the same for example "Johns iphone" then it will get overwritten.
    If you name it johnnys iphone it will leave the old backup there and create a new backup file with the new name.

3. galaxy7 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, it had a different name, thus my hope that it's still available somewhere. I think the wife deleted it--that's the main reason I'm hoping I can retrieve it from TimeMachine somehow.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

5. galaxy7 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, thank you...but my original question is I don't know what folder or file to update from TimeMachine.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/
    The "~" represents your Home folder. If you don't see Library in your home folder, hold Option and click the Go menu.

7. galaxy7 thread starter macrumors member

I found the folder /Library/Application Support, but there is no /MobileSync and a folder search doesn't reveal anything either. What next?

8. galaxy7 thread starter macrumors member

9. Idefix macrumors 6502

from the above, you're looking in the wrong library folder, namely the main library rather than the user library.

Use Applejuiced's directions in this thread. In Finder, under the Go menu, paste his directions into the Go To Folder submenu.

Apple, in its infinite wisdom, is hiding the user library.