Finding Open Ports Behind a PAC File Proxy

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JudasConstant, Jan 30, 2008.

1. JudasConstant macrumors newbie

I've just started a semester at a University, and I'm having trouble connecting to basic applications (NetNewsWire, iChat, Transmission, Skype) behind the proxy.

The case is slightly unusual as the university uses a PAC file to configure it's traffic, which I haven't seen when I've done a search. Although, I'm new to this so it could be wrong. I really don't know what to do with this.

The PAC configuration file can be found at...

http://www-config.strath.ac.uk/proxy.config

It requires a name and password to log in. It works fine with safari, but i can't seem to connect with anything else.

If anyone can give me information on what ports should be available, or how to figure out what's open (network utility didn't seem to work), I'd appreciate it. If all else fails, if someone could point me in the direction of a tutorial on alternative solutions, it would be appreciated.

PS: The tech department here seems completely out of touch, and you might get a few chuckles out of them. Check out: http://wireless.strath.ac.uk/managingexpectations.html
    As I'm coming from a university that uses almost exclusively wireless connectivity AND has an extensive CS and ECE load to handle, their claims are pretty tenuous. :rolleyes:

2. JudasConstant thread starter macrumors newbie

Found this in the PAC file, I'm not sure what it means:

function FindProxyForURL(url, host) {
    if (
    (
    isInNet(host,"130.159.0.0","255.255.0.0")
    || isInNet(host,"10.0.0.0", "255.0.0.0")
    || isPlainHostName(host)
    || dnsDomainIs(host, "localhost")
    || isInNet(host,"127.0.0.1","255.255.255.255")

)
    ) return "DIRECT";
    else return "PROXY www-cache2.strath.ac.uk:8080; PROXY www-cache5.strath.ac.uk:8080; PROXY www-cache1.strath.ac.uk:8080; PROXY www-cache6.strath.ac.uk:8080";
    }