Finding out specs for refurbished MacPros, Airs & iMacs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jakewellers, Nov 27, 2012.

1. jakewellers macrumors newbie

Hello

I need to know the CPU, RAM & HDD for Macbook, Pros, Airs & iMacs.

All the units I have been sent are refurbished and have no operating system.

Is this possible to find out without OS X, I am a complete noob and have no idea!

Thanks

2. jakewellers thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the response. However I need a way to find out what is in the exact unit.

Before they are sent to me, they're sent to a refurbishing company who wipe data and replace parts etc.

I need a way to find out which CPU, RAM & HDD is in each individual unit as parts they sometimes get removed and not replaced.

3. bluespaceoddity macrumors regular

How many are we talking about and what kind of approximate age will these computers be?

If they arrive without OS they can still be booted. In Target Disk Mode from another Mac or from a Mac Os installer or bootable system on an external drive for example. Depending on the age the most common way to start up among them may be USB. If you have or create an USB Installer from Mountain Lion or create a Mountain Lion System on (a partition of) an external USB disk you can use that to start up a whole range of the most current Apple computers.

The ones that don't start that way may require older system versions, won't boot from USB but may have Firewire ports or optical drives to start from installation CDs/DVDs.

Starting them up that way you'll be able to find out things about those computers that aren't visible on the outside. When started up that way you only have to go to About This Mac > System Information or System Profiler (Utilities folder) to get to see if the model had Additional Ram installed later, user upgraded HD (size/spindle speed), User installed SSD etc when comparing with the Everymac data posted above.

----------

Ask the Refurbishing company to attach a data sheet for each Mac they sent you.

What will you be doing with these Macs and what kind of arrangement makes a refurbishing company ship blank Macs to you?

4. jakewellers thread starter macrumors newbie

There's 10 Airs, 10 Pros & 7 iMacs, the majority are 2009-2011 models so not too old.

In the future I think this will have to be the case. I work for an auction that sells retail returns & lost goods and we have been sent this batch through. A major retailer sends their returns to a refurbishment company and if it can't be fixed etc it then gets sent to us and we sell it on their behalf.

I have been processing laptops & PC's through the auction for well over a year now, but I've only been dealing with Windows installed machines. Now we've got these buggers and I haven't a bloody clue! Our aim is to get the most money we can for them, so I need to list the specifications as they are.

Thank you for your help.