Finding RAM usage, and adding more?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by blizeH, Feb 12, 2012.

1. blizeH macrumors 6502

2. simsaladimbamba

That RAM will only work with Macs from 2008 and earlier.
    See below for the RAM guide.

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]
    Further reading:
    ______________________________________________________​

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can monitor RAM usage with Activity Monitor. What MacBook does she have? There have been quite a few and the RAM type depends on that. Installing the RAM is very easy, though, regardless of the model.

4. blizeH thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah! You guys are great, thank you - I was looking under System options, and 'About' under the Apple logo etc

She has the latest (and last) Macbook model, so the stuff I posted won't be any good I guess :(

5. simsaladimbamba

Then look at this guide again:
    4 GB RAM cost less than 25 USD, 8 GB RAM cost less than 50 USD. The guide includes specifications about what RAM you need and links to the correct RAM.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The good news is that DDR3 is cheaper than DDR2. 4GB module goes for £15, which would increase the ram to 5GB.

7. blizeH thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, thank you! She already has 2GB RAM but at that price I'm not messing around, ordered right away... 4GB fast notebook memory for £15? Damn. One chip is nice too, should mean it'll slot in without a problem... unless you meant she currently has 2x1GB chips instead of 1x2GB, so I'll need to take one out?

8. simsaladimbamba

Yes, she has two 1 GB sticks.

9. blizeH thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah I see, thank you! Well 5GB is still going to be an amazing upgrade, and for a reasonable price - thank you again :)