Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dakota558

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
My sister's iPhone 5 was just stolen. The phone is off so no luck finding with Find my iPhone. She has filed a report with the police and they asked for the serial number for the phone, which appears to be a bit hard to find without having the phone present.

By chance I managed to find the UDID of the phone from when I was testing the beta of iOS 7 (the phone was prevoulsy mine). Is there a way of getting the serial number and maybe the IMEI number from the UDID? Or is there another way of obtaining it without the phone? She has a backup in iCloud and iTunes.

Jeff R

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2014
Do you have a "Support Profile" with Apple?

Just sign in with your Apple ID. Did you have a case with Apple or any Genius bar appointments with that particular phone? If so, serial number should be there.

Dakota558

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
No support profile and no previous appointments with Apple. But thanks for the reply.

rrm74001

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
She has a backup in iCloud and iTunes.

iTunes > Preferences > Devices > Right-click (or Control-click) iPhone backup > Show in Finder

Double-click on highlighted folder in the Finder window that appears.
Find "Info.plist".
Open in TextEdit.
Control-F for "Serial" or "IMEI".

You're welcome.

(This assumes you are using Mac. You may how to infer some steps for Windows.)

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
The serial number is also on the original box. If you still happen to have that you could find it there. Also, depending on where you purchased it from, the serial number is usually printed on the receipt as well. If you purchased online you might be able to find it in your email (or if you're highly organized and still can find the paper receipt it should be there).

Dakota558

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
Managed to get the serial and the IMEI from the backup as suggested by rrm74001. Thanks guys!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.