Finding the IP address of a router within iOS

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by gusping, Sep 20, 2012.

1. gusping macrumors 6502

Hi,

At school there are routers and to connect to them you need to find their IP Address and then use that to log into them along with your school account. How do i find the IP Adress as someone else said they managed to do it completely within iOS but wouldn't tell me?

Thanks for your help! :)

2. avah12 macrumors member

In Settings/WiFi/The blue arrow next to your WiFi network name will give you the IP info, assuming you are already connected to the network.

3. gusping thread starter macrumors 6502

To connect to it i need to know the IP Address so no that won't work. Thanks though :)

4. madsci954 macrumors 68030

I would get in touch with your school's IT department.

5. gusping thread starter macrumors 6502

Too impatient, they are doing final checks on the router but i want my wifi now! :p

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

7. gusping thread starter macrumors 6502

But a guy from my school did it with his iPhone 4s today....

8. elistan macrumors 6502a

Your question doesn't exactly make sense. Did you mean SSID when you said IP address?

To connect to a wifi network, you need to know two things - the networks SSID and its password if there is one. IP address is not a factor. (Some networks then need a login ID and password as well, but that prompt comes up automatically and again doesn't require knowing an IP address.)

To connect to a router, you have to be connected to the wifi network already. In which case you do indeed need to know the IP address, but it's easy to get by going into the wifi connection's settings and looking up the "Router" entry.

If your issue is that you don't know the networks SSID because it's not being broadcast, well, I don't actually know a good way of finding out the name using an iPhone. Just check out somebody else's phone who has already connected.

9. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

Airport Express App* or Airport. Search Apple in the search bar of the App Store and just keep flippin' :D:D:D:D:D:D:D