Finding the Next Batch of HP Touchpads

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TallManNY, Sep 1, 2011.

1. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

So it seems that HP can't cancel the Touchpad right away without pissing off the manufacturers who have stockpiled and unused parts. So there are going to be another 100,000 touchpads. Presumably these will sell for $100 again and they will sell out immediately. I have an iPad 1, but would be interested to pick up a touchpad for $100. I use my iPad all the time and having another tablet lying around the house seems like it would be worth $100.

Anyone with advance thoughts about how to get one of these bargain tablets?

Also, does anyone think that HP was kind of stupid for selling out the tablet at $100? Considering how fast it sold, it surely would have sold out quick enough at $200 and HP could have made back at least some additional money.

2. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Do you really want a $100 doorstop?

Or would your money be spent better elsewhere? New hard drive? Or put *toward* a bigger, more meaningful purchase?

Granted, your reasons for wanting a dead-end device (sentimentality? Experimentation? Antique value years from now) is your own business, but it's a bit befuddling that some people are buying into a platform that is essentially dead, at prices which really aren't sustainable in the long run (meaning fire-sale prices are just that - they don't last) and that will likely be collecting dust in due course when they get a *real* device in that segment.

3. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I don't think they expected high demand even at price. They figured it'd be best to sell out at this firesale price quickly and make a clean break than risk still holding inventory months later.

At this point, just watching the HP site. I think more people will get in since they will limit to 1 per household or person, and since it's online only they may set up better screening (ex: one per billing and shipping address). That way you won't have people paying 20 friends to stand in line and buy in cash at brick and mortar stores like with the iPad 2 either.

That means the flippers / scalpers / "im going to buy one for each of the 15 people in my family" or whatever you want to call them won't get 99% of those units like they did this time around.

I'd almost say add another $100 and get that $199 lenovo, or wait for other sales this holiday season. There bound to be many sub-$200 tablets for Christmas that will have support, apps, etc.

4. mikeylikesit macrumors member

the touchpad is not a door stop it is a very capable tablet and at $100 is a steal. I've been using the iPad since June 2010 and I find the Touchpad very fast it doesn't have the apps but its great and browsing email etc. My kids are now using my iPad and I'm using the HP

5. poloponies macrumors 68030

For anyone with kids $100 for a portable video viewer is a good deal.

6. soco macrumors 68030

soco

I think it's actually a great deal for a pretty decent device. $100 for a great web-viewer and digital picture frame. Really cool and cheap coffee table device.

As far as finding the next batch is concerned, it's not gonna happen. The next batch they're producing is going to fill orders already placed. I think after that, they're done.

7. Jett0516 macrumors 6502a

Jett0516

A 100 dollar Touchpad is an awesome deal. Its like youre getting a brand new Hyundai for $3000. Its a no brainer deal!

HP said they'll make another batch of Touchpads soon and if you signed up at HP.com you'll be the first to know and have the chance to get one. But it may not be for $99 again. :(

8. TallManNY thread starter macrumors 68040

TallManNY

I think (and the market agrees with me) that a tablet is good purchase at $100. I don't know how gimped it is, but if it can surf the web, check email, and serve as an e-reader, then my girlfriend would find it useful. I suspect that for some things it will even be better for me than my iPad 1. Also, while it is dead end, with 500,000 out there right now and another 100,000 on the way, it will get a teeny bit of support from some developer community even if it is just hackers who start poking around seeing what they can make the hardware do (and that might be kind of cool).

9. Meanee macrumors 6502a

I would love to grab one for 100 bucks. Considering current effort of porting Android to it, plus WebOS, while dead, is a great little operating system. It could be a great "bathroom tablet" for my household.

10. labman, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011

labman macrumors 604

labman

Thank you for your opinion (Dooley Noted)

TS Besides the Hp Notification system. I have been watching Justin Deals on FB http://www.facebook.com/JustinDeals or website http://justindeals.com/hp-touchpad-tablet-for-99-update-list-of-updated-merchants-status/

also Touchpad hunt on FB http://www.facebook.com/apps/application.php?id=180186572035186

Also fallow @BrynaAtHP & @MarkatHP via twitter HP has told people to fallow them for updates on touchpads.

I have one hoping to get a second one for my dad.

11. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

If...and that's a mightly big word...

if more get produced, I'd be willing to bet they will not be sold at the recent firesale prices.

Sure, HP has proven that there is strong demand for a capable $100 tablet.
    That should surprise noone.
    But it certainly doesn't support HP producing more, just they can lose more with each sale.

12. TallManNY thread starter macrumors 68040

TallManNY

Noisycats,

HP has said they are producing more. Conjecture is that their manufacturing partners have stockpiled parts that they don't particularly want to scrap. Perhaps HP is contracted to order more. Or more likely they realize that they would piss off some powerful manufacturers if they left them holding the bag on parts for 100,000 more touchpads. I don't know if HP will raise the price. Certainly Ebay suggests that $230 is about the right market price. But I think HP wants to make it very clear that this is an "as is" sale without any ongoing support, including probably no warranty beyond that it will work on the day you open the box. So they will probably keep the price at $99 to support them taking the stance that this is a dead-end item. But yes more Touchpads are going to be made, HP has made that clear.

But yes, I would have paid $100 for this device and there are probably millions of people in the world who would do the same. Problem is that it can't be made for anything close to that cheap.

13. Hackint0sh macrumors member

Hackint0sh

You already have an iPad 1.

So, why, oh why would you waste your money on a Tablet that either:

1) Runs a relatively "unsupported", dated OS out of the gate.

2) MIGHT run a version of Android that will never feel polished.

Save your money. Amazon should be releasing a low priced Honeycomb based tablet soon.

14. poloponies macrumors 68030

It's kind of hard to argue against $100 for an ereader/web surfer/video player. Amazon will not be producing a device for less than $299 (even that's pretty optimistic).