Finding The Perfect Laptop Case

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by emedina, Nov 26, 2011.

1. emedina, Nov 26, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2011

emedina macrumors newbie

After many fine years of service, my Marware Sportfolio 13" sleeve has finally gone on to greener pastures. I am now looking for a new laptop case for my MacBook Pro and am putting some serious thought into my next purchase.

As for cost, I'll consider anything below $100. I'm looking for a sleeve or thin semi-hard case, definitely not a backpack or carrying bag. Certainly not more than a simple detachable strap (if that).

I am looking for two main qualities, the first being of higher priority:
    1. I am looking for something unique and attractive. I've had too many ugly laptop cases and bags so I'm looking for something nicer this time around.
    2. I am also looking for a decent amount of protection, meaning I'm probably looking for something a bit thicker than my old sleeve. I don't foresee myself needing a ton, but I'd like enough protection to avoid any damage from dropping it onto a hard surface from 1-2 feet in the air.

My current choices right now:
    1. Booq Viper XS3
    2. Bookbook Vibrant Red
    3. Booq Vyper M3
    4. Pack & Smooch "Hampshire," Anthracite/Dark Brown
    5. Speck White Tartan Plaid, Black Plaid or Dark Camo

Does anyone have any personal experience with the Bookbook or the Booq Vyper M3? If so I'd love to hear what you think about the protection, especially since I already like both of them.

I'm also considering some of the Folder Art sleeves from Tucano (http://www.tucano.com/IT/products/second-skins/).

And for any future buyers looking for cases/sleeves, I found this to be somewhat helpful: http://guides.macrumors.com/Buying_a...Case_or_Sleeve

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

3. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

do you want more of a sleeve, or a case that actually stays on the MBP all the time? I couldn't really tell from your OP.

4. randomrazr macrumors 65816

5. happle macrumors 6502a

sounds like you want a sleeve?

im ordering the booq vyper sleeve. stylist and has a slightly hard exterior and padded interior to protect your mbp when in travel.

if you want a hard case that stays on the macbook the speck seethru arent bad, but i like the incase perforated hard cases, they're protective, light weight, look cool, and allow for more air flow.

6. B.LI macrumors regular

Im currently using a 'Sedia' sleeve I bought as a souvenir for myself during my vacation in Hong Kong, it's an awesome sleeve offers all the protection and padding you need, but not sure where its available in the UK/US but this is basically what Im using atm and suggesting.

For hard shell case, the Speck SeeThru has been pretty popular and reliable.

PS: ordering a speck satin in black very soon :D

7. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

The Waterfield Designs Sleevecase is worth a look. Add an optional flap and D-rings and you are still under your $100 limit. Looks great, well-made in San Francisco, believe it or not! It has sufficient padding but it isn't too thick. The D-rings let you attach a strap or use it as a sleeve without a strap. I've owned two...

8. emedina, Nov 26, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2011

emedina thread starter macrumors newbie

I read multiple threads and found that each one was slightly different. I was hoping to get some kind of list of potential sleeves/cases to consider.

Right now its just the following for me:
    Bookbook Vibrant Red
    Booq Vyper M3
    Booq Viper XS3

I do have concerns about those products though. I've heard more than one complaint about the quality of Booq products as of late. In addition, I'd like to hear a few more personal accounts from people who have used the Bookbook to see how it (and the leather) holds up over time.

I'm leaning against Waterfield because I don't really like the design. Same goes for the clear cases like Speck SeeThru, although I know they are quite popular.

I've heard about InCase (but didn't find anything that caught my eye on their website) and I felt pretty much the same way about Incipio.

Am I missing someone? Even if its not exceptionally well padded like the Booq Vyper, is there not a company that makes sleeves with some interesting designs?

9. visim91 macrumors 6502

Rather interesting selection. First one seems a bit pompous, but I do like it.

10. emedina, Nov 26, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2011

I agree it does give off a bit of that vibe, but I really like the originality of it. Plus the leather looks quite nice.

Also, for any future buyers looking for cases/sleeves, I found this guide that might be helpful: http://guides.macrumors.com/Buying_a_Mac_Laptop_Case_or_Sleeve

11. emedina thread starter macrumors newbie

12. GTANJ macrumors member

Unique and easy on the eyes? Dude, just get a $20 dollar sleeve on Amazon. Your MacBook won't discriminate against what kind of pouch you get, and your wallet will thank you. I also doubt many people are going to care what kind of sleeve your MacBook is in. I got http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NY9UW8/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details this sleeve on Amazon and it gives perfect protection for a cheap price.

13. randomrazr macrumors 65816

i thought bumping was breaking rules?

those sleeves u lsited are garbage

incase neopene sleeve. theres a reason why the apple store sells these and why they are the most popular. best sleeves for value and price.

add speck serthru hardshell case., perfect combo

happynow?

14. Minhthien macrumors 6502

If you want something look different than other I would get this and when its travel just put this on and you'll be good to go!

15. Kendo macrumors 68000

I use this for the MacBook Air. They also have one designed for the MacBook Pro. It is very sharp looking and made of a neoprene foam. Very minimalistic design in classy black and a nice ruby red stitching that matches the one small logo on the front.

There is also a thin plastic shield lined between the inner and outer foam so that it gives it support and cushion. No zippers or velcro, just an elastic band that wraps around the MacBook (not that it needs it, it fits very snug even without the band).

http://www.geardiary.com/2011/08/08/macbook-air-gear-review-acme-made-skinny-sleeve-stretch-shell/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOtj6C1x8Ds

16. emedina, Nov 27, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2011

First, let me thank you for informing me that my MacBook actually does not care about which case its held in. I guess that explains why it never laughs or cries during all those romantic comedies we watch together — because it lacks the ability to feel things. It totally makes sense now!

On another note, please excuse me for wanting something more attractive than a Styrofoam cup wrapped around it, not because I care what "other people" think but because I actually want something attractive for my own sake.

17. emedina thread starter macrumors newbie

As for you, I should start off by saying I wanted to write something harsh in response to you being rude and obnoxious on this thread twice. But honestly, I feel sorry for you. I asked an innocent question of opinion, so all that anger is clearly coming from somewhere else. I hope you're able to deal with whatever is bothering you — if not for your own sake than for the other people who have to interact with you.

I'll have to disagree that any of those choices are "garbage" though, especially considering half the people on here have recommended Booq products. In fact, there are multiple threads (the ones you asked if I "read" earlier) that suggest Booq as one of the better options for laptop cases. As for the Bookbook, you might not like it but there are more than a few people on this forum that have some appreciation for its uniqueness.

Finally, if bumping is not permitted on this forum — I do apologize to everyone. As the information below my name clearly shows, I am new. I hope that entitles me to some leeway, especially since is the first thread I've ever created. If I'm correct and it's prohibited, I hope people on this forum are a bit less rude when reminding people that it's against the rules.

18. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I only found out when I got the "reminder" from a forum mod. Yeah, no bumps here.

Welcome, and I hope you find a case that you like. Some people here should best be ignored.

19. randomrazr macrumors 65816

ok dont take my reocmendation

20. praetorx macrumors regular

Someone was mentioning the incase neoprene sleeve. I would advise against it. Had it and loved the design but I've realized the zipper was scratching my MBP every time I'd close/open it.

21. randomrazr macrumors 65816

22. praetorx macrumors regular

23. sfoalex macrumors 6502

I'm not sure, but you may able to simply replace the case you had...

Is this it?

http://www.amazon.com/Marware-Sportfolio-MacBook-Case-Black/dp/B000I73B2Y

24. emedina thread starter macrumors newbie

25. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I saw the Incase in the discount stores for 75% off. I didn't like the feel of them. I did some research here and what stood out for me was the Tucano Sleeve. I'm a person who like for a gadget or material to feel nice to touch. It has to feel expensive, nice quality, and without paying a lot for it.

So, I searched and found the Tucano Second Skin for $25. It's a tough neoprene that is definitely weatherproof. They come with a protective covering over the zipper parts so that it doesn't scratch your MBP. I've had mine for about two years and it still looks new. It has that new smell too. They even have a cable pouch for it.

Buy from here w/free shipping and no tax.
    http://www.adorama.com/SearchSite/Default.aspx?searchinfo=tucano second skin

mine shown here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77634324@N00/4231962066/in/set-72157600178258293

I know you want a carrying case but imo those aren't really ideal. I mean I'd rather carry in a sleeve then place in a bag that also well padded. I carry mine in a Timbuk2 Blogger bag. Its smaller and has tons of compartments. Timbuk2 makes a laptop bag.

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/cubicle-laptop-messenger

or their laptop case
    http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/control-laptop-case

I like Timbuk2 because their stuff is very rugged, durable, water resistant, the whole nine. Great product. If you want to check out the quality, try Best Buy. Apple stores use to carry them but no more :( You can buy from their site.