Finding the right DVI-D graphics card for the job...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Mini-Mac, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Mini-Mac macrumors newbie

Hi everyone! I am trying to connect a DELL 30" UltraSharp 3007WFP LCD monitor to my older Power Macintosh G4 tower (Mirrored Drive Doors) with dual 1.42 GHz G4 processors. The factory installed graphics card only allows the 30" Dell to display and operate at some low resolution - making everything seem too large and pixelated on the display. I would like to have the monitor display in its highest resolution, using a dual-link DVI-D graphics card that supports 2560x1600 resolution. I already tried two graphics cards that are capable of this high resolution, but either did not fit or did not work with my older Mac. I would like to know, specifically, which name and/or model(s) of graphics card would work with my older Macintosh and display utilizing the 30" Dell's highest resolution of 2560x1600. Thanks for your help!

2. MacVidCards Suspended

There are few choices.

Officially, there is only ONE, the Radeon 9650. You will need to find a Mac Version of this on Ebay, no longer sold. MUST be this one, most 9600 for Mac don't do 2560 res. These are all blue boards with black heatsink, no fan. $200 or so-ish.

Unofficially there are a couple more choices.The Nvidia 7800GS for Mac could do 2560, but it must be flashed for Mac to work. $200+ (fastest card for AGP Macs ever)

I just posted here about the flashed X800, it too could do 30". Look for my post about "Make Your Own X800" or some such fal de rol. You can make your own per my post, or find a preflashed one on Ebay. Applemecanix and others sell them.......MUST BE THE DUAL DVI ONE TO DO 30" !!!!

There were also flashed Nvidia 6600s which could do 30" for cheap, but people selling these are minimal, and I don't recall off the top of my head if they worked on MDD, I think they did though.

Flashed 6800s that could do 30" were rare....BUT 6800 DON'T WORK ON MDD.

If you want to know how to flash a particular card, look on The Mac Elite or Strangedogs