Finding the right macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 27Gs, Aug 24, 2013.

1. 27Gs macrumors newbie

So let me start by saying i'm new to this forum and this actually the first time I really used a forum. Usually I'll keep searching the web till I'll find my answer, but in this case I just can't find any information that fits perfectly with my doubts.

So here it goes : I'm a student in search for a macbook. Because I don't have allot of money to spend I'm going to buy it second hand (used).

-A also like to do some casual gaming on it (with ok fps 40-60), games I play are LOL , Diablo 3 sometimes..

-other than that i'll use it for school and browsing, I'm also a huge fan of movies, so watching movies on my laptop is very big part of my use on it.

-It's also important that i will still be able to use my laptop optimally in 3 years time, Meaning that I don't whant something that will be so outdated that it will lag , not be able to run the latest os and so on...

(Currently I have an Acer Aspire 5750G I5 2.3 Ghz turbo up to 2.9Ghz, graphic card GT 520M 1 GB, 4Gb Ram, 500GB HDD => I don't want to buy a laptop that's slower than this, I've heard that sometimes with lower specs macs run smoother because of the OS)

Now the actual Question : Should I buy the macbook Pro 13 or 15 inch 2012(retina or non-retina) ( keeping in mind the Nvidia dedicated card vs the 13 inch HD 4000) or do you guys recommend the 2013 Macbook air (HD 5000 but also not dedicated), or any other suggestions?

I want the best bang for my buck, So the cheapest way for a laptop that does what I want...

Sorry for the long read :s anyway thanks in advance :) !

Ps: I know lots of people say Macs aren't for gaming, but I love the looks of the macbooks, I can't find any pc that comes close, I also love the os .. So i really want a Macbook and it happens to be that i'm a casual gamer, I just think a Macbook is the only pc that can satisfy all these needs.

2. koulmj macrumors 6502

I played games on my imac via bootcamp and highly suggest avoiding the integrated hd graphics adapter and going with the 650m. If you go to youtube u can find people,playing all sorts of games with the 650m; all macbooks will do movies and basic work beautifully.

Check with your campus store not only can u get a higher ed discount but some schools have free financing available.

3. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

15" cMBP, you get a full i7 instead of a neutered one like in the MB Air, and you also get the 650m which I can play BF3 on with low settings at about 40-50 fps. Its a great machine, I love mine.

4. 27Gs thread starter macrumors newbie

First of all thanks for your reply..

So I guess that only leaves all 15 Inch macbook pro models, I'll check my campusshop now but i don't think it is avaible for macbooks (atleast not in Belgium I guess). Also Is anyone of you aware of new models coming out, this could be important for price drops that could be following then for older 15 inch macbook pro models.

----------

Ok , thanks seems like everyone agrees on the 15 inch :p

5. koulmj macrumors 6502

In a few days we are expecting an annoucement which its rumored that some haswell chips will be made availible...but apple loves suprises. Id wait at least til that annoucement. Not sure when that media event is though.

6. Steelseries macrumors member

If you do not need it now, you should wait for haswell rMBP.

For casual gaming, you shouldn't worry about the graphics cards on those (even the 13"). For movies, the screen is also significantly better (not just the resolution). It will also have the pci-e ssd, wifi ac, etc.