Finding the right size shoe...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by c073186, Apr 20, 2012.

1. c073186 macrumors 6502a

This might sound like a stupid (and perhaps obvious) question but... how do you tell when the shoe fits right? I have found that common advice is about a "thumb" in the front of the shoe, but is that a thumb width in the middle of your toe section, or would it be a thumb width from your longest toe? If that makes sense. Because a thumb width at the front of the longest toe would be more like 1.5 or 2 thumb widths towards the middle or opposite end of your toes.

Obviously I am over analyzing a bit but I'm trying to pick out the right size and I'm not sure which will provide the most comfortable fit. This is for casual/boat style shoes, so nothing athletic.

2. 184550 Guest

Width from longest toe, IIRC. For me, that's my big toe.

Though I usually just try on shoes until I find one that feels good. Not too much slippage in the back and not too tight when walking normally. Usually that means a 9 or 9.5 US for me.

Commence shoe size jokes in 3, 2, 1...

3. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

I was under the impression that the thumb rule was for kids who were still growing.

Just try on shoes, I suggest dragging a girl with you.

4. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

Like above I think that thumb is for kids with growing feet. Try shoes on til their comfortable and remember that if your feet aren't growing that shoes should be pretty comfy but that most will break in after the first couple weeks of use. My boat shoes are always death for first month so but then they become the most comfortable shoes ever.

5. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I second this. Just make sure she's a girl with similar taste to you, or you could end up looking like a knob.

6. Jessie12 macrumors newbie

Totally agree, the shoes will be more confirtable after two weeks of use.I think when you walk, the feet are not constricted.

7. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Believe it or not, at one time some shoe stores actually used an X-Ray device to fit shoes to kids feet.

There really isn't any hard and fast rule about getting properly fitted shoes, other than a) if possible buy from a knowledgeable and experienced salesperson, and b) always try the shoes on under the right circumstances.

Aside from the important length and width considerations, you also need to keep in mind the material the shoe is made out of. Generally shoes made of leather and other natural materials will have more stretch than other types. Also keep in mind that your feet tend to swell during the day. A shoe that fits snugly at 9.00 am is likely to pinch horribly by six that evening. Try also to wear the same type and thickness of socks as you will generally wear with the shoes. Also, don't EVER try on shoes with bare feet. I know someone who contracted nail fungus, and she spent an unpleasant year getting rid of it.