General Finding unused dependencies

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Qaanol, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Qaanol macrumors 6502a

Many Cydia tweaks are dependent upon other packages, and installing the tweak also installs those support packages. However, subsequently removing the tweak does not uninstall the packages it depends on.

This is generally a good thing, but it can lead to packages remaining installed when they are no longer needed. I would like a way to generate a list of installed packages with information on their dependencies.

I see that iCleaner can automatically remove "orphaned" packages, but I do not want to do so automatically. Instead, I want to find out which packages are dependent on which others, so I can manually identify those I wish to remove.

How can I do so?

2. romeo0119 macrumors 6502

I avoid Icleaner, last time I used it, my phone messed up, some app started to force closed, I don't know if its something I did but that's my personal experience

3. iRetired macrumors 6502a

iRetired

You have to be very careful when using iCleaner. I use it sparingly, and always use Analyze first and then review the log before I hit Clean.

4. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

Download AppInfo and export a "detailed" list. It will tell you what each app depends on.

It's more work since you have to look manually (on a computer would probably be easier than on the iPhone since you can use the "find" feature) but it does what you are looking for

5. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

This was exactly what I was gonna say. iCleaner does work though. I've used it many times to remove unused dependencies and I've never once had a problem because of that particular feature. I also use default repos. I'm not sure if that matters or not. It shouldn't matter but if people have had problems using iCleaner in this regard, this could possibly be a discrepancy between them and me.

You could also take a quick screen shot before pressing install. I do this sometimes when I know I'm not keeping the main package installed. Ill just glance at the screenshot in my camera roll. This way I can quickly and manually remove the unused packages.

6. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

That's what I usually do but after I try out the app/tweak and decide I will keep it, I just delete the screenshot
    For the sake of my camera roll not being cluttered with pictures of not great importance. Of course, this is just my preference; it may not be the same for others

7. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Yes exactly. If your gonna keep the app long term then definitely delete the screenshot. Down the road if you feel like removing it along with unused dependencies, use iCleaner, appinfo, or run the proper apt-get command in terminal.

8. Qaanol thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you Darrick, I am much obliged.