FindMyPhone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by MBHockey, May 19, 2011.

1. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Anyone else see this app? I think Android has something like this built-in (not sure) but basically it lets you set a special text code that will trigger the iPhone to play a sound alert for a customizable amount of time when it receives this text code. It works even if it's on silent (and even if the volume is low it will put it all the way up). Great if you think someone nearby has swiped your phone or if you've ever lost your phone inside your own house/apartment and it ends up being smothered under a blanket or something.

It's $1 in Cydia and seems like a good idea, but I guess it has to run a background process to wait for the text? I'm not sure about that but I do wonder if it has an effect on battery life.

It's $0.99 on Cydia from BigBoss

2. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

Maybe it's just me but I'm really iffy about putting any financial info out there on Cydia. :(

3. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

You mean paying for jailbreak apps?

I would be way more hesitant to download a cracked app from a shady source. But I like supporting developers who make great, usable software that Apple won't allow.

4. phill50 macrumors newbie

its a Free app in the apple store too.. no need to pay for the stuff you described..

5. loyalist macrumors 6502

Besides playing the sound when it's in silent mode, what's the difference to just calling your phone if you misplace it??

6. phill50 macrumors newbie

use you computer to see were your phone is on a map.

7. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

It doesn't ring if it's on silent...that's the point :)

I've found the popup notification from Me.com to not work with Lockinfo/Notified, and one day when I wasn't sure where my phone was I incorrectly ruled out a few places because I didn't hear the sound. The text message would not have this problem. So at least, for me, it could serve a purpose. But it really depends on how it works. If it zaps battery life I would just use its GPS location from me.com

8. dudeabiding macrumors 6502

dudeabiding

Free app on iTunes. One goes on your computer, one on your phone. You can see where your phone is on a "google map" and you can remote wipe it as well. It will also play a loud tone when triggered by you on your computer. Free. Free. Free. Did I mention it is free?

9. belleimageek macrumors newbie

Hi

What happens when someone finds it, takes out the sim, restores, jailbrakes and puts another sim in. is the phone still traceable????

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No.
    Its pretty much gone.