findrer/carbon copy cloner

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Donfor39, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Donfor39, Dec 17, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2013

Donfor39 macrumors 6502a

Donfor39

Good evening

There was a problem connecting to the server “192.168.0.13”.

Airport Etreme/usb hub/western digital external drive
    I'm going slightly mad :)

Unable to setup a wirless backup of macbook hd to external hd

Is there a simple setp by step guide on 'starting again' in setting up a wifi backup?

I'll appreciate help -too few hours at home after work numerous power cycles -there are times when the external hd shows in airport utility/mavericks finder -though not after the latest power cycle -the reported i.p address is taken from airport

thanks for any advice

Stephen

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There is a setup guide at the CCC support site here that might help you.

I am curious about that 192.168.0.13 IP address? Normally your Airport Extreme would be at 10.0.1.1 by default, or 192.168.1.1 or 172.16.1.1 if you changed to from the default.

Can you explain more about the network setup?

3. Donfor39 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Donfor39

The i.p. address is hte airport extreme LAN i.p. address currently shoing in airport utility

I now have the 'paid' for version of carbon copy cloner

I 'tried' the step by step guide -found it very difficult /keys authorisation etc when I attempted to use copy to remote mac cloner option

my setup is macbook pro -3rd gen airport extreme-usb powered hub for western digital external hdd and (success with 'wirless printing from my 'old printer'

If I can avoid using the 'remote network carbon copy option -I think it would be easier avoided -the keys etc copy to mcb hdd and external hdd -no success at all

What I would like to do is 'choose my external hdd' as a backup disk -recently when my airport extreme does show in finder it just shows my external hd folder 'untitled 1' its greyed out so I CANNOT' select it to copy or view files either from mavericks or carbon copy cloner -thats why i'm going sligtly mad :confused:

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Unless you have made some custom settings to your Airport Extreme, it cannot have that IP. Open Airport Utility and select the Extreme then look for the LAN IP Address like in my screenshot.

[​IMG]

So if you just attach the drive directly to the Macbook you cannot read the drive in Finder? Can you attached the drive then start Disk Utility and do a verify disk on it... what does that say? Is there data on there you need? If all else fails, just reformat the drive to Mac OS Extended in Disk Utility and start over with CCC.

5. Donfor39 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Donfor39

screen shot from airport showng i.p. address of extreme:confused:

Attached Files:

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That 192.168... series of addresses is only used for internal networks (like your Airport network in your house) and it can't be your external IP address like yours is shown in that top IP Address field.

http://www.whatsmyip.org

Go to this web site and it will show your external IP Address that would ordinarily be shown in that IP Address section of Airport Utility.

What I suspect is going on is you have a modem/router combo device from your Internet Provider and that device is assigning the 192.168.0.13 address to your Airport Extreme. Is that the case?

7. Donfor39 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Donfor39

What I suspect is going on is you have a modem/router combo device from your Internet Provider and that device is assigning the 192.168.0.13 address to your Airport Extreme. Is that the case?[/QUOTE]ent

Yes it was my ISP replacement 'superhub' modem/router combi thats when I couldnt continue with the 'wirless' carbon copy backup which was working really well (without the remote log in type option)

Thanks for the i.p address i'll check and post

----------

77.97.24.199 what do I now do with that in airport extreme or do I use finder go connect to server?

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Ahhh... okay... that's what I thought. Go to Airport Utility and set it to bridge mode like in my screenshot then update the settings. Then go back to Airport Util and get the LAN IP Address and use that as your backup destination. The Superhub may still assign it that same address, and that is okay.

You still will need to deal with that corrupted disk issue though. You may just need to reformat it.

[​IMG]

9. Donfor39 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Donfor39

The screen shot shows my WD external HD

This iw what i'm unable to use CC cloner for 'wirless backup'

The drive is fine whe connected direct to macbook

I'm now considering a 'airport time capsule' option -maybe my hdd and airport extreme to ebay
    Why am I unable to choose this drive from either finder or ccc?:eek:

Attached Files:

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

How is the drive formatted? The best format for that is Mac OS Extended.

11. Donfor39 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Donfor39

I thought osx journeld was the format

I,ll check later thanks

12. Donfor39 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Donfor39

Thanks this is how my dirvie is formatted

Ive since connected the drive direct to airport extreme which works fine including airport utility/mvercks finder/carbon copy cloner

The problem is probalby when the extetnal drive is connected to the powered usb hub/airport extreme

strange cause the epson printer works fine with the same hub:rolleyes:

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Sounds like the hub does not provide enough power for the drive. Glad you got it working.