Fine hairline scratches on the screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HXGuyAZ, Sep 27, 2014.

1. HXGuyAZ macrumors 6502

Anyone getting fine scratches on the screen? Kind of sucks, never had it happen with the old phone and that thing was beat up...hell it literally feel off my roof and onto gravel and screen was pristine.

2. cane811 macrumors member

3. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

4. macmacguy macrumors regular

I have privacy protection on my screen, pretty resistant accessory. Never had scratch problems.

5. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

It's the oleophobic that's scratched. You probably had some grit on your shirt when you wiped the screen on it.

99% of these fine scratches happen like that.

6. HXGuyAZ thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah could be, I don't use anything special to wipe it...nothing different than what I've used in the past.

It's barely noticeable and really only at certain angles when the light hits it. Was even hard to get a picture of it...

[​IMG]

And as you can see, from just a slightly different angle, you can't see it at all.
    [​IMG]

7. Donoban macrumors 6502a

Donoban

You prob inadvertently did this at some point. I suspect it would b hard to pick up when the device is in use. I would say accept it and move on, when you buy your new 6s in less than 12 months this will be just a distant memory.

8. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

Wow! That is surprising to me. Isn't this the screen that someone was literally slicing it with a knife?

9. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

That is a big scratch. Hope you have applecare+

10. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Dang, man, I can see that. Bummer.

I was hoping to go without a screen protector.

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

AppleCare+ does not cover cosmetic damage:

12. tromboneaholic macrumors 6502a

tromboneaholic

You could always "drop" it and pay your $79 "incident fee" for the shattered screen to be repaired.

13. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

Bending it would be easier

14. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

...and this is why I use screen protectors. That scratch would drive me nuts!.

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

And people wonder why they jacked up the AC+ deductible to $79. Keep up the good work.

16. ggpike macrumors member

I've gotten those small scratches all over my screen too. I've always used screen protectors in the past, but the Apple store only had them for the 6 and not the 6 plus. I went ahead and ordered one from Amazon yesterday. At least when I put it on the scratches will no longer be visible.

17. tromboneaholic macrumors 6502a

tromboneaholic

If they don't cover cosmetic damage, they're asking for more than cosmetic damage. Don't blame the messenger.

18. wxman2003 Suspended

I had them on my 5S too. It doesn't take much to scratch the coating. That's what that appears to be, not an actual scratch of the glass. A grain of sand will scratch the coating sliding it in and out of your pocket.

19. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

That scratch really isn't bad at all. My iPhone 5 never had any screen protector and after about 7 months it was covered in tiny little hairline scratches but you don't even see it unless you shine light right on it...

20. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

This is why I always use a screen protector. My screens are always pristine.

21. zzoomp09 macrumors 6502

zzoomp09

Mine had it the 1st day of usage. I might've gotten it from wiping it with my shirt or in my pocket. My 5S never scratched that fast and I've never used a screen protector since my 3GS.

So... I returned it and bought another one from an Apple Store with plenty of stock. And now, it has that screen protector.

22. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

No, think about it, AC+ deductible is currently priced such that it doesn't cover cosmetic damage. If it were to cover cosmetic damage, the replacement rate would be far higher and the deductible would be significantly higher to reflect that. Not everyone is so lacking in moral such as yourself that they'd go out and commit fraud.

23. tromboneaholic macrumors 6502a

tromboneaholic

I was just offering a solution. Personally, I wouldn't wipe my screen with something that might have grit on it.

However, there is some truth to what you say about the incident cost being reflected in claims. At the same time they should cover scratches too.

24. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Your "just offering a solution" is encouraging people to commit fraud. There are way too many members here who does this and think nothing of it.

They need to strike a balance between the coverage offered and pricing AC+ low enough to make it desirable and affordable for the vast majority of customers. Scratches are part of normal use and can most certainly be avoided. Why pay more in AC+ just because some fools are careless with their iPhones and are free to replace it whenever they feel like?

25. tromboneaholic macrumors 6502a

tromboneaholic

Some fools buy AC+