Fine hairline scratches on the screen?

HXGuyAZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2014
Anyone getting fine scratches on the screen? Kind of sucks, never had it happen with the old phone and that thing was beat up...hell it literally feel off my roof and onto gravel and screen was pristine.

macmacguy

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2014
I have privacy protection on my screen, pretty resistant accessory. Never had scratch problems.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
It's the oleophobic that's scratched. You probably had some grit on your shirt when you wiped the screen on it.

99% of these fine scratches happen like that.

HXGuyAZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2014
It's the oleophobic that's scratched. You probably had some grit on your shirt when you wiped the screen on it.

99% of these fine scratches happen like that.
Yeah could be, I don't use anything special to wipe it...nothing different than what I've used in the past.

It's barely noticeable and really only at certain angles when the light hits it. Was even hard to get a picture of it...

And as you can see, from just a slightly different angle, you can't see it at all.

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
Yeah could be, I don't use anything special to wipe it...nothing different than what I've used in the past.

It's barely noticeable and really only at certain angles when the light hits it. Was even hard to get a picture of it...
You prob inadvertently did this at some point. I suspect it would b hard to pick up when the device is in use. I would say accept it and move on, when you buy your new 6s in less than 12 months this will be just a distant memory.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
Dang, man, I can see that. Bummer.

I was hoping to go without a screen protector.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
That is a big scratch. Hope you have applecare+
AppleCare+ does not cover cosmetic damage:

http://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/applecare/applecareplusforiphone.html

4.2 Hardware Coverage and ADH Coverage.
... (ii)The Plan does not apply to damage caused by (a) a product that is not the Covered iPhone, (b) abuse, misuse, fire, earthquake or other external causes except as described in section 3.2 above, (c) operating the Covered iPhone outside the permitted or intended uses described by the manufacturer, or (d) service (including upgrades and expansions) if such was performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (“AASP”).
(iii) The Plan does not apply to an iPhone with a serial number that has been altered, defaced or removed, or has been modified to alter its functionality or capability without the written permission of the manufacturer.
(iv) The Plan does not apply to a Covered iPhone that has been lost or stolen. This Plan only covers a Covered iPhone that is returned to Apple in its entirety.
(v) The Plan does not apply to cosmetic damage to the Covered iPhone, including but not limited to scratches and dents, that do not otherwise affect the functionality of the Covered iPhone.
(vi) The Plan does not apply to preventative maintenance on the Covered iPhone;
(vii) The Plan does not apply to defects caused by normal wear and tear or which is otherwise due to normal aging of the product….

ggpike

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2006
I've gotten those small scratches all over my screen too. I've always used screen protectors in the past, but the Apple store only had them for the 6 and not the 6 plus. I went ahead and ordered one from Amazon yesterday. At least when I put it on the scratches will no longer be visible.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
I had them on my 5S too. It doesn't take much to scratch the coating. That's what that appears to be, not an actual scratch of the glass. A grain of sand will scratch the coating sliding it in and out of your pocket.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
That scratch really isn't bad at all. My iPhone 5 never had any screen protector and after about 7 months it was covered in tiny little hairline scratches but you don't even see it unless you shine light right on it...

zzoomp09

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2012
nordern nu joizee
Mine had it the 1st day of usage. I might've gotten it from wiping it with my shirt or in my pocket. My 5S never scratched that fast and I've never used a screen protector since my 3GS.

So... I returned it and bought another one from an Apple Store with plenty of stock. And now, it has that screen protector.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
If they don't cover cosmetic damage, they're asking for more than cosmetic damage. Don't blame the messenger.
No, think about it, AC+ deductible is currently priced such that it doesn't cover cosmetic damage. If it were to cover cosmetic damage, the replacement rate would be far higher and the deductible would be significantly higher to reflect that. Not everyone is so lacking in moral such as yourself that they'd go out and commit fraud.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
No, think about it, AC+ deductible is currently priced such that it doesn't cover cosmetic damage. If it were to cover cosmetic damage, the replacement rate would be far higher and the deductible would be significantly higher to reflect that. Not everyone is so lacking in moral such as yourself that they'd go out and commit fraud.
I was just offering a solution. Personally, I wouldn't wipe my screen with something that might have grit on it.

However, there is some truth to what you say about the incident cost being reflected in claims. At the same time they should cover scratches too.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I was just offering a solution. Personally, I wouldn't wipe my screen with something that might have grit on it.

However, there is some truth to what you say about the incident cost being reflected in claims. At the same time they should cover scratches too.
Your "just offering a solution" is encouraging people to commit fraud. There are way too many members here who does this and think nothing of it.

They need to strike a balance between the coverage offered and pricing AC+ low enough to make it desirable and affordable for the vast majority of customers. Scratches are part of normal use and can most certainly be avoided. Why pay more in AC+ just because some fools are careless with their iPhones and are free to replace it whenever they feel like?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.