Fine Tuning Font Size

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by cosmo3, May 30, 2015.

1. cosmo3 macrumors member

(I question really could be asked in any OS X so I didn't know where to put this, but since Im using 10.9, here it is.)

Im currently testing out a mid 2013 MBA and leaning towards returning it and getting a 2014 rMBP mainly due to the quality of display and sharpness when increasing the font system wide.

But when Im using safari the only way to increase the font is with the Control +/-. While that helps a bit, I'd like to be able to fine tune it a bit more. I know that when it comes to brightness I can press option-shift along with increase/decrease brightness and it changes each block to quarters of a block.

Is there a way to do that with font sizing? I wish apple would just bring back the appearance option within safari pref like 10.6.

thanks in advance

2. cosmo3 thread starter macrumors member

Nothing? is there no way to fine tune the sizing of the font? apologies if this is considered a bump but I'd figure there was some way to do so.

3. CreatorCode macrumors regular

CreatorCode

You can set a custom CSS stylesheet in the Advanced pane.

4. cosmo3 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I don't necessarily understand what that means though.

5. CreatorCode macrumors regular

CreatorCode

You'd have to create a CSS stylesheet that sets font and size attributes the way you want. (You can find lots of CSS tutorials on the web)

You might start with something like
    body {
    font-size: 14px;
    }
    You can add other rules as you see fit.

Put that in a text file, save it somewhere as stylesheet.css, and then select that as your stylesheet in Safari Preferences.

6. cosmo3 thread starter macrumors member

Ok. that sounds much simpler. any idea if by doing that does it keep the other aspects of the webpage the same, boarders, boxes, etc. or would this solution just set the fonts at a higher point default and everything else would be off scale.

7. CreatorCode macrumors regular

CreatorCode

That particular bit just changes the text size. You could add different CSS rules to re-size things other than the body text, or even scale entire page body, if you wanted to.

for example

body {
    zoom: 1.25;
    }

Will zoom the whole page to 125%, including images.