Finer grained privilege settings

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ScoobyMcDoo, Nov 17, 2009.

1. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

I was wondering if anyone has found a way to do finer grained privilege settings on OS X other than the blanket "This user can administer computer". For example, my printer constantly has problems with the connection - probably because someone kicked the cord or powered it down. Unfortunately OS X can figure out that the printer is back on and connected so it can go on with printing - nooo - you have to pull up the print queue settings, pause the printer, then unpause the printer, then it will finally start printing again. So, say this happens to one of my kids - they try to do the pause, unpause, but nooo... you have to have admin privs. So, I have to log in to give the idiotic OS the kick in the pants so it will start printing again.

It would be nice if OS X could be smart enough to reconnect to the printer, but since that hasn't happened, I was hoping I could give admin privs just for the printer to the other accounts so they can workaround this problem.

By the way, I'm not sure if the inability to restart the printer on reconnect is an issue with OS X or the epson printer driver. Anyone else see this with other printer brands?

2. Unique Visuals macrumors regular

Same problem here

My dad has a mac mini and with a cannon MP180 multi function printer and if he pauses the printer it says he cant. If he shuts off the printer to stop it from printing it then asks for an admin name and PW and I have to go over to his house to reset it. I have him on a user account to prevent problems but...
    Anyone have a fix or work around for this?

3. Unique Visuals macrumors regular

Problem Solved

I posted on apples forum and was giving a solution
    use this terminal command to set privileges to all users
    Code:
    dseditgroup -o edit -p -a staff -t group _lpadmin
    "this will add standard users to the lpadmin grup and allow them to perform print admin tasks without entering an admin password"

I used that to fix my dads print problems and then another user said "Or the less geeky way to add a user to the lpadmin group is to go into Parental Controls and check "Allow user to administer printers" for the user. " I don't know if this will work or not.

4. ScoobyMcDoo thread starter macrumors 65816

Hey Unique Visuals. Just found that you responded to this - I had completely missed it. Thanks for the reply!