Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RemarkabLee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
...big initial outlay.... uncertain global financial situation... could probably find better use for the money if I were sensible... don't need the power but certainly could find many uses for it...
smile136.gif

...argh!!!
smile141.gif

RemarkabLee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
DO IT!!!!

You know you want it.

Just imagine that sterile new Mac smell.

Funny you should mention that.... I don't know if it was the Mac mini, but something I purchased reminded me of the smell of my Amiga 500 when I bought that about 20 or so years back... Those were the days.... Amazing how the sense of smell can really take you back in time....
regular_smile.gif

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
...big initial outlay.... uncertain global financial situation... could probably find better use for the money if I were sensible... don't need the power but certainly could find many uses for it...
smile136.gif

...argh!!!
smile141.gif

That's invariably the problem with anything that's discretionary.

But if you join my SETI@home team for a week (to show us how fast it runs), I'll be in London at the end of APRIL and I will buy you a pint or three :D

-hh

bestthereis27

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2007
I just got the 2008 Octo for the business price of $1899. I usually keep my computers for awhile, I don't really swap them for newer models. I figure for as long as i keep computers its not that expensive over time, a few hundred bucks a year. I doubt I'll never ever need all that power, and i could expand the memory and hard drives, so its a keeper.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Pull the trigger...

Just look down the barrel of the gun, and squeeze ... you'll either be blissfully happy or scatter your brains over the wall behind you.

phairphan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Reject Beach
My quad arrived yesterday. Love it so far, but still in that transferring-everything-over stage. You'll be glad you pulled the trigger.

RemarkabLee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
I just got the 2008 Octo for the business price of $1899. I usually keep my computers for awhile, I don't really swap them for newer models. I figure for as long as i keep computers its not that expensive over time, a few hundred bucks a year. I doubt I'll never ever need all that power, and i could expand the memory and hard drives, so its a keeper.

That was one of my arguments to myself (I do that sometimes... :eek:)

It'll last a loooong time I keep saying to myself....while trying to escape from the tight fitting white jacket...

hobes270

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
I would definitely do it. Everything is headed to multi core processing. You will benefit from 4 cores in the future!

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
Get your finger off my trigger, I am doing it as well!

Education discount on the quad is 2299. Just waiting to hear if it will take more than 8GB's.

Also trying to find an earlier quad 2.8.

seer

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2007
Do it, you won't regret it. Just got mine and despite a few 'self-contributed' issues, the quad is smooth as butter no matter how much you do at the same time :)

RemarkabLee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
You're buying a computer and the vendor calls you?

Yeah. In the UK, or at least in my experience, if you go to the Apple Online store and spec up a Mac Pro, then save the basket to your account, Apple often call you and say they "maybe can do som£thing for you" ;)

$BPM$

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2009
Wales UK
Yeah. In the UK, or at least in my experience, if you go to the Apple Online store and spec up a Mac Pro, then save the basket to your account, Apple often call you and say they "maybe can do som£thing for you" ;)

Yeah, they did that with me - Twice, because I changed the spec!

$BPM$

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2009
Wales UK
I think they must have an alarm or a big flashing light go off in their sales office whenever anyone saves a Mac Pro to their basket!!! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.