finger print scanner for purchases not working

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by docal97, Oct 1, 2013.

1. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

So I was in the apple store tonight to buy one of the new iPhone 5s Apple cases. And I figured it would be a nice opportunity to try out the new fingerprint scanner for purchases. So I scan my purchase and proceed to checkout. The request for my iTunes Password pops up, but no option for scanning my finger. I tried this multiple times and it did not even give me this option.

I even asked an Apple employee and he had no idea why it wasn't working. I have also found that it works sporadically w/ iTunes or App store purchases. And I have all of the settings configured properly.

Others experiences? Or is this just a problem with my device?

2. HarryT macrumors 6502

HarryT

I have noticed something similar.

It needs the password in the following instances (or it seems it does):

1) Restart of the device
    2) Connecting to a new network
    3) Hasn't been activated for 24 hours

I have had the finger print scan come up a few times but it has generally been within the same day as putting in the password for something.

3. docal97 thread starter macrumors 6502a

docal97

#2 above clearly makes the ability to use the scanner for purchases worthless the first time you connect to a new network. So I wonder, will this happen at every different Apple store that I go to, or will it recognize that they are all part of the same WIFI network?

4. Rigby macrumors 601

Touch ID is not supposed to work with the Apple Store app. It only supports the iTunes, App and iBooks stores (which are of course integrated in the OS). See here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5883

Since the Apple store app is just a regular app running in a sandbox like any other 3rd party app, I guess it will not support Touch ID until Apple decides to open it up to all apps (if ever).

5. docal97 thread starter macrumors 6502a

docal97

Wow. Did not know that. I would have thought that they would have made it compable with their own app.

6. Rigby macrumors 601

There is currently simply no API that regular apps could use to access the Touch ID functionality, probably for security reasons. It is unknown whether they are planning to introduce one later.

7. Fission macrumors regular

They better make this work for more than unlocking your phone...I HATE having to enter my App Store password every time I DL anything. I feel better that I waited on the 5s now...Might even pass up the IPad5 if they don't integrate the FP scanner and iCloud keychain.

8. gentlefury macrumors 68030

9. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

Same here.

Sometimes App Store asks for my fingerprint, sometimes for my password.

Very annoying. And I hope it's only a bug. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

10. Fission macrumors regular

Wouldn't make sense for this to be intended for just unlocking phone...

11. boobie12 macrumors 6502

If you haven't used it to download an app for 24 hours then it will ask for your password. I don't think it's a bug.

12. docal97 thread starter macrumors 6502a

docal97

Well if you only makes several purchases per week it makes the scanner feature pretty worthless if you have to enter your password manually once ore day. If you need to do it once per week, that's not so bad.

13. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

I totally agree. It's not like you buy tons of apps a day and you get tired entering the password everytime. If Apple feel's that touch ID is safe and secure, then why not use it for all puchases every time?

14. HarryT macrumors 6502

HarryT

It has asked me to scan my fingerprint for In-App purchases so I think there is something we are not quite getting here..

From the website it seems that you do have to put your password in after a restart but maybe there is something else that resets it too?

15. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

Well, there are risks with trying out a new technology like this for the first time in a phone. I'm happy with them starting out with unlocking the phone and iTunes purchases. Baby steps.

16. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

As I recall they said it only works right now with the internal iTunes Store apps. Ie, the ones that are logged in via the settings menu. So no iBooks or Apple Store, no 3rd party.

Oops, just checked http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5949
    iBooks they say works, but no mention of the Apple Store App.

----------

No they aren't part of the same wifi network.

----------

You already don't have to. It already works for downloaded materials.

17. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

That makes it absolutely worthless then. Makes zero sense. :mad:

18. boobie12 macrumors 6502

Not to everyone.

19. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

So you buy apps more than once a day every day??? That's total bs.

20. boobie12 macrumors 6502

How are you telling me something I do? Yea there's chances I purchase apps at different times of the day. Is that so hard to believe?