Finger Print Unlock feature

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jsf721, Sep 26, 2013.

1. jsf721 macrumors 6502

Is it possible to use the key pad code feature to unlock the phone if a finger print is also used on the 5S?

2. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

So you want to have a fingerprint AND a passcode? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the fingerprint?

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

Question is unclear. Are you asking if you can you force the phone to require BOTH a passcode AND a fingerprint to unlock? If so, the answer is no.

If you're asking if you can use a passcode instead of fingerprint to unlock, such as if your spouse is sitting next to you in the car holding your phone, then yes. Same procedure as before: wake the phone, slide-to-unlock, enter passcode same as before.

4. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Not really, and thats how it works.

You can't have Touch ID on without also having a passcode on.

----------

Yeah, i've seen this discussed a lot on here since the 5s came out.

It's very confusing, and people seem to go round in circles over the answer.

5. billycuth macrumors 6502a

In order to register a fingerprint, you must first set a pass code.

Your pass code is used as a backup to your fingerprint.

If you would like to bypass using the fingerprint to unlock the phone (without turning the fingerprint feature off) all you need to do is "Slide to Unlock" like you normally would.

Why would you want to do this? Say you want to allow a 3rd party to use your phone, but they do not have a fingerprint registered (like a spouse or child).

It will happen automatically after 3 unsuccessful attempts with a fingerprint. After 5 unsuccessful attempts with a fingerprint, the phone will ONLY unlock with a pass code.

Hope that helps.

But as has been mentioned, you cannot force the phone to do both at the same time (ie scan your fingerprint and then type in a pass code)

6. jsf721 thread starter macrumors 6502

My question is more similar to the senario where I need someone to acess my phone like my wife or kids. I would like to use the finger print ID to unlock daily but be able to tell me wife, look up the XYX inmy phone or on google while I am driving.

Or days when I am traveling with a co-worker as I do often in sales.

So I dont want to do both each time I use the phone, the either or senario works for me. From what I understand, that is in place correct

Thanks for the clarification,